Suggestion to swap Beeswax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapopera

Reaction score
Hi there, I've been soaping mostly with Coconut, Olive, Palm, Castor and Beeswax. Recently I'm thinking to take out the Beeswax in my recipe and not sure what other vege base oil have similar properties as Beeswax. Would love to hear some suggestions :D

Isnt the beeswax just to harden the bar? If so, then you already have some hard oils in there and probably can just increase any of your other oils. Otherwise I've read that Mango butter also hardens bars while providing emolliency.

Yes, you could try some butter
I think that cocoa butter is harder than mango and shea

The Beeswax I use initially to want the bar to be harder but ended up I find it leaves a balmy nice feel to the skin after shower. I just use 1% of and can feel the difference in the same formula without the Beeswax.

soapopera said:
The Beeswax I use initially to want the bar to be harder but ended up I find it leaves a balmy nice feel to the skin after shower. I just use 1% of and can feel the difference in the same formula without the Beeswax.

If you like the feel of the beeswax, why are you considering taking it out?

I tried it in the beginning and found it too fussy to work with and had to soap hotter than I liked. I use a small % of cocoa butter in every batch and have been pleased with the results.

I too found beeswax a PITA to use, but I like the hardness it adds. I LOVE the feel and the hardness of cocoa butter in my soaps!

Try taking out the beeswax and adding a small amount of stearic acid to your recipe. I would start at maybe 1/4oz of stearic ppo, but melt it seperately and add in after trace, if you have never used stearic before you will be shocked at how thick it gets and how fast it happens.

Let us know what you decide and how you like it :)

Thanks for the suggestion ladies. I'm taking out the Beeswax coz of the same reason you need to soap hotter. I didn't feel a significant hardness it gives just that I like the 'emolliency'. Now I'm thinking maybe some Shea Butter and Macadamia.

Back