Looking for a good soap recipe with these oils:

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahmad Habib

Reaction score
Looking for a recipe which uses oil from this list only ; coconut oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, soy bean oil, neem seed oil, castor oil, ghee( max 10% is possible). I have been looking for a recipe with these oils and could not formulate a good recipe with these oils. These are the oils that I can access. Other oils are available like olive oil but they are very expensive and palm oil is not available.

You can't buy any hard butters other than the ghee? Shea butter, cocoa butter, Mango butter, kokum etc. I know you said that the only ones you could access where the ones you mentioned. The suggestion above, would be your best option.
https://www.soapmakingfriend.com/soap-making-recipe-builder-lye-calculator
Good luck, I hope you find the answer and help you need to make your soap. Have a blessed day!

I would not recommend using Ghee or more than 5% Castor Oil. As for a recipe...this is what soap making is all about...playing with different oils and butter and then making a small batch and seeing what you come up with.

I would not recommend using Ghee or more than 5% Castor Oil. As for a recipe...this is what soap making is all about...playing with different oils and butter and then making a small batch and seeing what you come up with.
I appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you, but unfortunately the many recipes that I came up with were no good, so I thought that it would be good to consult this forum.

Just a thought as I'm not the most experienced recipe creator ~ but ghee is a made from butter which is made from milk so why not use a milk as you liquid in your recipe instead of water? Then create a recipe using coconut oil with a little bit of each of the remaining other oils you mentioned? Maybe that would be an option 🤷🏼‍♀️
I recommend working with chilled or frozen milk to make you lye solution to reduce the possibility of scorching (there is a lot of information in the forum about working with milk soap recipes), but that might be an option for using each of the ingredients you mentioned.

Thank you, but unfortunately the many recipes that I came up with were no good, so I thought that it would be good to consult this forum.

Can you define your opinion of "no good"?

Do you mean that you made them and they were too drying? Too sticky?

Or do you mean that you created a recipe and the calculator numbers didn't look like it would make a good soap?

If you help us understand what you hope the soap will be like, maybe we can be more helpful with suggestions.

I have been looking for a recipe with these oils and could not formulate a good recipe with these oils. These are the oils that I can access. Other oils are available like olive oil but they are very expensive and palm oil is not available.
The Basic Trinity of Oils formula is a good starting point for designing a recipe.that works for you. Once you understand what each leg of the trinity (coconut, olive, palm) brings to a balanced formula you should be able to use all of the oils you listed. Some will work better than others. Keep castor to 5% max. Since you don't have access to palm you will need a solid oil like Hydrogenated Soy Bean if that's available? Ghee is not recommended due to being odorific in soap. The same applies to neem, although it is said to be good for skin issues and generally used at a small %.

ADVICE FOR NEWBIES

HTH, GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN! :computerbath:

Last edited:
Thank you. Soy wax might be available.

Can you define your opinion of "no good"?

Do you mean that you made them and they were too drying? Too sticky?

Or do you mean that you created a recipe and the calculator numbers didn't look like it would make a good soap?

If you help us understand what you hope the soap will be like, maybe we can be more helpful with suggestions.
It would dissolve in water very quickly and was quite drying even though I used a 7% super fat. The qualities of the soap that the soap calculator gave me told that the INS and iodine values were not in the range and indicated the bar of soap was soft. Those were the main problems with my soap.

A 100 % coconut oil with 20% superfat; cured for a year. It’s a lovely soap; pure white so you can color it how you like.
Thank you, that might work. The problem that I faced with a 100% coconut oil soap was that it was not a long lasting soap. It probably was because I did not not cure it for long enough.

You could do 95% coconut oil, 5% castor oil and 20% super fat.
It seems like it will be a good soap.

Your list of oils made me recall this thread about a long-ago recipe called Genny's Shampoo [NOT] Bar*, which used soybean and castor oils:
Genny's Shampoo Bar recipe--and question
I remember trying a variation of it because I'd never used so much (10%) castor before. It worked well, made a very nice and gentle bath bar.

Since you don't have shea butter or olive oil, perhaps you could try upping the soybean oil just a bit, adding coconut oil, and substituting sunflower oil for the olive & avocado. Here's me just noodling around; see if you think something along these lines would be worth trying with a small batch. I might add a little salt to the lye water as well. Just a thought! You have lots of options to play with, especially if you can source that soy wax. Good luck! 🍀

*added [NOT] because the consensus from the thread is that it was fine for a regular soap bar but not really suitable for shampoo

(Edited to correct link)
Sample formula for Ahmad Habib.jpg

Your list of oils made me recall this thread about a long-ago recipe called Genny's Shampoo [NOT] Bar*, which used soybean and castor oils:
Genny's Shampoo Bar recipe--and question
I remember trying a variation of it because I'd never used so much (10%) castor before. It worked well, made a very nice and gentle bath bar.

Since you don't have shea butter or olive oil, perhaps you could try upping the soybean oil just a bit, adding coconut oil, and substituting sunflower oil for the olive & avocado. Here's me just noodling around; see if you think something along these lines would be worth trying with a small batch. I might add a little salt to the lye water as well. Just a thought! You have lots of options to play with, especially if you can source that soy wax. Good luck! 🍀

*added [NOT] because the consensus from the thread is that it was fine for a regular soap bar but not really suitable for shampoo

(Edited to correct link)
View attachment 75684
Thank you. This is quite helpful, but high oleic sunflower oil is not available.

No worries, I just chose that one automatically. The SAP value for regular and high-oleic sunflower oil appears to be exactly the same (on SoapCalc, anyway) although the fatty acid profile certainly looks different!
Unfortunately, sunflower oil probably won't work. The fatty acid profile is what really matters. Regardless of that, thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, sunflower oil probably won't work. The fatty acid profile is what really matters. Regardless of that, thank you for your help.
I agree about the fatty acids, and it's too bad high-oleic (or even mid-oleic) isn't an option for you.

My last notion concerns those 100% coconut oil soaps with high superfat as mentioned by Blufuz and AliensrReal: such nice soaps, but I like them best as salt bars. Since you are an experienced maker you've probably tried salt bars already, but thought I'd mention them on the off chance that you haven't. Salt bars are some of my favorite soaps ever, but then I live in a generally warm and humid climate, which may make a difference. Maybe they would last longer for you than plain coconut oil soap, but I'm not sure. Just a thought (I promise to stop noodling on! 😼). Best wishes to you with your search and experimentation!

I agree about the fatty acids, and it's too bad high-oleic (or even mid-oleic) isn't an option for you.

My last notion concerns those 100% coconut oil soaps with high superfat as mentioned by Blufuz and AliensrReal: such nice soaps, but I like them best as salt bars. Since you are an experienced maker you've probably tried salt bars already, but thought I'd mention them on the off chance that you haven't. Salt bars are some of my favorite soaps ever, but then I live in a generally warm and humid climate, which may make a difference. Maybe they would last longer for you than plain coconut oil soap, but I'm not sure. Just a thought (I promise to stop noodling on! 😼). Best wishes to you with your search and experimentation!
I have not tried salt bars. I think this might be really good. I too live in a climate which has a hot and humid summers and salt bars are likely to be generally long lasting. Thank you for all your help.

Latest posts

Back