Sticky soap in silicone liner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candicec003

Reaction score
Hello soapers :) I recently bought some 5lb silicone soap liners with mold from Nurture Soap Supply. I have a hard time getting my soap out of the liner even after its been sitting for 24-48 hours. It was never like this before with my wooden molds with same dimensions, and parchment paper. I have to wait 2-3 days before I can take them out with minimal damage. Maybe in doing it wrong? Is there a special technique with silicone liners? Also I've been thinking about the water content in my recipe. I do a 2.4 : 1 ratio of water : lye. Could this be a higher content then normal? But again, I didn't have this problem before with the wooden molds. Last thing, does having less water in your recipe make for a harder bar?
Thanks

Silicone can keep soap a bit softer for longer. I generally unmold from my silicone molds after 1.5-2 days. I don't like rushing it and risking any sticking or accidentally denting a corner.

A water discount will speed up the water evaporation process a bit during the cure, but probably won't help speed up unmolding.

All water evaporates out in the end. In my experience the amount of water you use only changes how the batter moves.

I use silicone molds and I have to wait a minimum of here days for most recipes. Silicone offers the most air tight of seals against your soap which slows down some of the process. After a day or two I crack the seal on the sides of my soap and let it sit. This allows a bit of air to get to the sides. I also let the soap sit at least 12 hours after unmolding before I cut it to make sure I have a few sides of non-sticky soap to touch

Edit: people posted while I was typing

CPOP- cold process oven process. When you put your mold in the oven to encourage gel.

What does that involve?

Cold Process Oven Process
Wrap your soap in the mold in a towel and a blanket and put it in your oven preheated to 100*F (40*C). If your oven doesn't go this low turn it off and wait till it cools enough so that it's about that temp inside (use your hand or a laser thermometer.) Turn the oven off straight away and leave it unopened for 12 hours.

If your molds don't fit in the oven put the molds on a towel on a heatpad (old electric blanket) on high (about 100*F) and wrap the mold in both and cover the whole lot with a normal blanket for 1 hour. Then unwrap the mold and turn it down to low (68*F or 20*C) but leave it sitting on the flat heatpad and cover it with the normal blanket for 12-18 hours then it is ready to cut.

I use 31% lye concentration. It makes the bar less likely to warp by the time it cures than if you use 25% lye concentration (default lye concentration).

I have the Nurture molds and love them. I do use sodium lactate, which is supposed to help harden the soap for easier unmolding. But I think ensuring gel phase is the biggest help. I set a heating pad on top of a thick blanket, put my mold on top of the heating pad (set at the highest setting for 1 hour), wrap it all up. I can usually unmold the next morning. Using the oven isn't really an option for me because I soap during the day and need the oven to be free for dinner.

Awesome! I'm going to try this, thanks! :)

It is winter here now and the above is what I do now.
When summer gets here I might turn the heat pad off altogether after 1 hr.
I just want to keep it at those temps for that long so adjust for your ambient temperature.
In the oven it was easy - summer and winter was the same.

I use those same molds and can unmold 12-24 hours. I do use sodium lactate which helps with that too I'm sure. And as stated, gelling the soap makes a difference as well. Mine just slide right out of the mold after I lift the sides a bit. They are my favorite loaf molds to use.

Latest posts

Back