stain remover bars, any ideas?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SummerlandSoaps

Reaction score
I bought a stain stick last year at a craft fair. It was cold process soap, but its texture was almost waxy. It was amazing! Just wet the stick and rub it on the stain. Toss treated clothes in the wash it works like magic. It even got blood out of my scrubs! I want to make my own but cant figure out what she used. I know it was cold process, but beyond that i have no clue.

Anyone have any recipes or ideas?

It does sound scary but very interesting. I noticed that there is a lye discount on the recipe...should it be 0% or does the turpinoid do something about the excess oil?

He said he made it so it wouldn't be lye heavy. My guess is you could change it to however you want.

To me, the recipe looks zero SF.

I'm not worried about turpentine, but I guess if you're going to use it a lot, may be better to wear gloves while doing so and work in a well ventilated area.

An idea

This is what I use for the mechanic soap I make on occasion. A mixture of orange and eucalyptus essential oil.

The primary bulk of modern "hard cleaners" (oil and stain fighters) use orange essential oil, as it breaks down the bonds of the oil to fabric and skin.

Most industrial level cleaners use Eucalyptus. The main ingredient in Eucalyptus essential oil is Menthol, which is an alcohol that will absorb oils.

The lye soap in and of itself is actually a salt (acid + base = salt... Lye + amino acids in oil = salt) which absorbs oils that are broken free.

What you end up with is the Orange breaks the bond between oil and fabric, the soap (which a soap molecule has one end attracted to oil, the other end attracted to water) pulls the oil away from the fabric and into the water, and the Eucalyptus left on the clothes will prevent "rebonding", where the oil breaks loose of the hold and reattaches to the stain (thus, the stain spreads) and keep the oil where it belongs... off your clothes.

This is the general premise of my mechanics soap, I believe 100% that it will work great for stain removal, but I will admit I have not tested it for this purpose.

Back