Spraying Alcohol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyKat

Reaction score
I'm wondering where you all get your alcohol for spraying on soap. I've read that it should be at least 90 proof and I'm wondering if there's a cheaper alternative to buying a high proof alcoholic beverage? If not, I guess I can just go buy a nice whiskey. I'm also wondering if 80 proof will suffice (I have some 80 proof vodka) and if 100 proof is even better than 90 proof for this purpose? Maybe one of you soap experts even has a super science geeky explanation for why this helps. And by the way, I mean that with all due respect. Thanks for your help!

Sorry - I thought I read somewhere on this forum that you can't use rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol. Maybe I'm making that up. I'll be very glad if that's true! I'm still curious as to why that helps - scientifically speaking. Come on, you soap geniuses! I'm counting on you! :lol:

I'm new here too but I thought I saw somewhere on here that it was Isopropyl Alcohol that was used..... thats what I use, Maybe I'm doing it wrong. It works for some of my soaps but not all..... don't know why. I had one with a lot of Cocoa and the top still got ash

I purchase my Rubbing Alcohol from my local Walgreens or RiteAid store.

Rubbing alcohol IS the same thing as Isopropyl alcohol. I was under the impression, for some reason, that that's NOT what I was supposed to use, so I was asking where people get their high proof alcohol. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe that was just for transparent soap that I read about having to use a specific type of alcohol. I am definitely NOT into making transparent soap. Seems hard and complicated and very time consuming!

Mayren said:
I purchase my Rubbing Alcohol from my local Walgreens or RiteAid store.

Me, too. 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol). Pretty cheap and haven't ashed since I started spritzing. Spray after pour and then again before unmolding.

BakingNana said:
orangeblossom said:
I can't find 91% isopropyl/rubbing alcohol. All the ones near me are about 70%.

Try asking a pharmacist.

Thanks. I can do that :)

Lindy said:
I use denatured alcohol that I buy from my supplier - I like the results better than rubbing alcohol....

I was wondering about this. I saw it at my hardware store but didn't know enough about it. Thanks. Maybe I'll try this, as I know where to buy it easily.

Three types of alcohol:

Ethyl (grain) the stuff you drink. To buy this stuff without paying crazy Fed taxes it must be denatured (which means that some other stuff is added to it so that it will be supposedly un-drinkable). Lot's of paperwork and headaches with this, so if you just need a small amount of pretty-darned-pure ethanol (and don't mind paying the tax), just buy a bottle of Everclear, which is 190 proof (95 percent). Don't smoke, it's a fire hazard.

Methanol. DO NOT USE, TOXIC.

Isopropyl. Supposedly not poisonous, but only created after the 1930's, as a by product from petroleum production. So it's not compatible with our soaps, etc.

Chris-2010 said:
Isopropyl. Supposedly not poisonous, but only created after the 1930's, as a by product from petroleum production. So it's not compatible with our soaps, etc.
So where you work they don't use isopropyl?

Bakingnana:
You said to spritz at pour AND before unmolding.

I just tried spritzing at pour the other day but it didn't really work. I still got ash. I didn't soak the soap but spritzed several...um...pumps/sprays on it.

After thinking about it though...I do CPOP. So it would make sense that any alcohol spritzed on would be cooked off right away, right?

Could that be why it didn't really work?

Chris-2010 said:

In what way is it not compatible with your soap?

Back