sorry another newbie question - curing environment and wrapp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lottee

Reaction score
Hello, i have three soap making books and none of them have given me the answers! My first batch of soap is sliced into bars which are stsnding in trays curing, in a spare room. It is not cold in there but ut is light. What are ideal curing conditions? Also, how long would you leave the bars before wrapping them in some way, and how do you store them once cured?

Thank you!

Re: sorry another newbie question - curing environment and w

Generally you want to avoid direct sunlight if you're using colorants (many fade in direct sunlight) and humidity with cold or hot process soaps. As far as ideal temperature, I would think whatever your room temp is fine. I don't see any problem with 50-90 degrees, just the humidity level.

I set mine on stacking shelves in my bedroom, and the shelf has kraft paper on top of it since they're metal cookie cooling racks, actually :D The racks are just tall enough that I can put my 2.5 - 2.75 inch tall bars on them upright and still be able to put the next rack on.

Hot process I let sit on the racks for 2 weeks. Cold process I sit out for 4 weeks. After that, if its a batch for myself or my family or I'm going to stash them away for inventory, I just put them naked into a cardboard box and label the box. If I'm sending them to other people in the very near future, I do a cigar band type wrap that is 3 inches wide for a 3.5 inch wide soap, then I put my labels on the wrap - the ends are exposed so water evaporation can continue. Even after a 4-6 week cure, soaps can continue their "weight loss" and if you wrap when you box them up, the wraps can become so loose they can fall off or you have to rewrap/refasten the label. So I like to label right before I send them out :)

One thing to keep in mind is that cold and hot process soaps need to breathe to allow for the water evaporation, so shrink wrapping isn't something you want to do with them. Melt & pour soap, you DO want to wrap up tightly because otherwise you run into sweating problems with humidity so keep MP away from humidity is a big deal.

I know a lot of people use the baseball card storage boxes available from various places - I got a 2 pack of mine on Amazon and I need to order more LOL But I'm talking about this kind here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-25-800-Coun ... vi-content I just wouldn't buy from them because of the shipping costs >.<

Latest posts

Back