Soapmaking Spreadsheet Recipe Tool

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’m new here but not new to soap-making. As a hobby, I’ve been making cold-process soaps for a little over a decade. Still, 1689985450293.png lots to learn which makes it all fun. The pressure of work made me drop most hobbies but not any more.

I recently retired and can do fun stuff again.

My work compelled me to spend a lot of time working in Excel, so, I thought this would be a useful tool to help with my hobby. As someone who hates reinventing the wheel, I looked to see what tools were already available. There were a few useful ones out there but nothing that would do all the things I wanted. So, I bit the bullet and decided to build one myself.

Having built it and tested it, I now wonder if anyone else would be interested in using it. As a hobbyist, I can’t justify the costs of commercial software. I’m sure there are others in the same boat. I’m offering this for free (without any liability etc.) It’s just a tool for designing soap recipes and seeing what they would cost. You should, of course, always double-check your oil/lye ratios in another tool like the redoubtable SoapCalc (SoapCalc). I certainly do.

Anyway, I’m not claiming that this is better than any other tool available free. It just suits my needs well - and may work for you too. I welcome any feedback but don’t promise to do anything about it. Life can be uncertain and I don’t intend to spend my dotage looking at a screen when there’s fun stuff I could be doing.

Hopefully, the spreadsheet should be self-explanatory. There are some macros included so you’ll get a warning of that (and an option to disable them) on opening the spreadsheet. It will work fine without them. Of course, the buttons on various screens won’t do anything without macros enabled but they’re there just to cater for my laziness anyway. it’s up to you.

Nothing is password protected so you can make any changes you want. I’ve left some Oils, Lye, Fragrances and Colours listed on their respective sheets so you can see how the whole thing works. You’ll need to change that information to make it accurate for you. Of course, if you're not interested in the pricing functions you can ignore that step. The 'Design Sheet' will still indicate the soap properties.

The ‘Design Sheet’ tab allows you to list different oils for a recipe and the charts will show you the characteristics of the resulting soap. There are 2 charts but they show the same information, just in different formats. Once you have a recipe that you like the look of (if you have macros enabled) hit the blue button to transfer the oils and percentages to the ‘Recipe’ sheet. The same blue button is available on the 'Recipe' sheet itself. You can also copy and paste them if you don’t use the macro-button.

In general, you can type/select information in the ‘pinkish’ cells. The other cells are mostly calculated so it’s best not to type in them. leaving the sheets ‘protected’ is the safest way not to overtype a formula. You’ll need to enter the Container volume in ml, your desired water as a % of oils (I usually use 31%), your preferred Superfat % and how many bars you’ll cut your batch into. All this is in the top left of the ‘Recipe’ tab.

OK, I think that’s enough info and it’s probably not as clear as I’d hoped it would be until you have a look at the Spreadsheet. If you find time to try this I’d be genuinely interested in feedback. As I say, I wouldn’t always be able to act on it but perhaps I’ll find time between batches.

Happy soaping,

Cheers, Grant.

Soap Designer Screenshot 1.png

Soap Designer Screenshot 2.png

PS. I’ve removed this file. The latest version is available in this later post.

Attachments

• 1689985450395.png
    1689985450395.png
    161 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
What an incredible kindness! I made my first soap this weekend but had created a terrible-looking and not nearly as detailed spreadsheet so I can see where my money disappears to. This is much more elegant. Happy retirement!
Hi Veronica,

Well done on biting the bullet and jumping into the wonderful world of soaping (apologies for the mixed metaphors).

I hope you find this useful. If you do use it and you find a problem please feel free to let me know. I too like to keep track of where I'm spending my money on soaps. If the mood strikes me, and if anyone else is interested, I may look into making this a bit more useful for tracking batches. It would never compete with commercial products, which look awesome for those running a business but might be useful for hobbyists.

Currently, my main purpose for the tool is to give me an idea of what characteristics a soap might have based on the fatty acid makeup of the oils I'm using - or more often what oils I have on hand. If you're new to soaping you might find that function helpful. Please always check the lye values with another site such as SoapCalc. I do this myself for fear that I've made a mistake.

Happy soaping.

Cheers, Grant

I look forward to trying this out, thank you, Grant! I'm hoping to join you in retirement in a couple of years!
Hi Jorah,

Thanks for trying it out. Any problems let me know. Any suggestions let me know. I can't commit to developing this further but might if the spirit moves me. I'm learning that retirement doesn't leave much time for idleness. Especially when friends/family learn that you might have some spare time to help out with stuff. :)

Cheers, Grant

Thank you Grant! Will be very happy to have this!!!!
Hi bwtapestry,

You're very welcome. I hope you find it helpful.

Cheers, Grant

Hi Guys,

I made a small boo-boo in the Excel file. Thankfully it was a 'safe' one. I calculated the amount of water to dilute the lye as a % of the mould volume rather than as a % of oils. This gave a number much higher than normal. I always double-check my recipes using SoapCalc and coincidentally the number it provides was close to the erroneous number my tool gave. This was because I had 31% as my '% of oils' value and the default on SoapCalc is 38%. Anyway, please accept my apologies. I've attached a corrected version to this post.

I’ve removed this file too. The latest one is the only one you should use. It’s more accurate and does more. It’s also available without macros.

LATEST VERSION HERE

Please delete the old version.

Last edited:
Hey @Grantxw8 nice work here! Just a note, most of us don’t use water as percent of oils - we use lye concentration or water:lye ratio. That gives more consistent results as you scale batches up and down.

A typical starting concentration for CP soap is 33%, or 2:1. I personally use 40% to reduce ash, speed up unmolding, and lessen the chance of glycerin rivers.

A typical starting point for HP soap or LS is 3:1 or 25%.

Hey @Grantxw8 nice work here! Just a note, most of us don’t use water as percent of oils - we use lye concentration or water:lye ratio. That gives more consistent results as you scale batches up and down.

A typical starting concentration for CP soap is 33%, or 2:1. I personally use 40% to reduce ash, speed up unmolding, and lessen the chance of glycerin rivers.

A typical starting point for HP soap or LS is 3:1 or 25%.
Hey AliOop,

Thanks for the feedback. I did notice a lot of people using lye concentration while talking about recipes. I did play with that in the spreadsheet but kept getting circular references. I think that was because I really wanted the recipe to recalculate properly according to the volume of the moulds I use. I decided to prioritise that over using lye concentration.

I might give it another try even if it means having 2 versions of the tool. For me playing with Excel is a bit like sudoku. It’s relaxing - but I have to find the time. I guess the question is, would you find the tool useful if it gave you the option to use lye concentration.

Last edited:
This is awesome (literally awesome: it's quite a spreadsheet; not just AWWWSOOOME)! But it is AWWWSOOOME that you put it out there for all of us. Thanks! I look forward to checking it out more thoroughly.

I just opened your corrected version and only the Recipe tab was there. Was that intentional?

This is awesome (literally awesome: it's quite a spreadsheet; not just AWWWSOOOME)! But it is AWWWSOOOME that you put it out there for all of us. Thanks! I look forward to checking it out more thoroughly.

I just opened your corrected version and only the Recipe tab was there. Was that intentional?
Hi Fireside,

I’m glad you like it (even better if you still like it after you’ve tried it!).

Hiding the other sheets was unintentional. There is a solution though. There is a button marked “Show all sheets” that will reveal most of the other sheets. If you prefer to disable macros (i.e the buttons) you can just right-click on the recipe tab and unhide the other sheets.

If I make any other improvements I’ll be sure to leave the others sheets visible. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hey AliOop,

Thanks for the feedback. I did notice a lot of people using lye concentration while talking about recipes. I did play with that in the spreadsheet but kept getting circular references. I think that was because I really wanted the recipe to recalculate properly according to the volume of the moulds I use. I decided to prioritise that over using lye concentration.

I might give it another try even if it means having 2 versions of them tool. For me playing with Excel is a bit like sudoku. It’s relaxing - but I have to find the time. I guess the question is, would you find the tool useful if it gave you the option to use lye concentration.
Hi @Grantxw8 - Your spreadsheet looks amazing, but I didn’t give it a test run because I’m another soap maker in the 40% lye concentration camp.

Hiding the other sheets was unintentional. There is a solution though. There is a button marked “Show all sheets” that will reveal most of the other sheets. If you prefer to disable macros (i.e the buttons) you can just right-click on the recipe tab and unhide the other sheets.
Ha! I forgot about hiding sheets. I used to do a lot with Excel--not nearly as much as you clearly have--but I don't anymore so I have forgotten what all it can do. Thanks!

HiHi @Grantxw8. Have you read @DeeAnna ’s page on the math differences in the water-to-oils ratios vs water-to-lye ratios? Since you’re developing spreadsheets, I think her explanation may be helpful. If you look at the SMF soap calculator, you’ll see the volume of soap required for specific molds is a different setting. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it along with the other similar pages I've been reading. I keep hitting the same circular reference issue. I'll try to explain it.

With the "Water as % of Oils" method of calculation once the mold volume is entered the volume of oils is easy to calculate. If the % is 31% (Mold volume x (1 - .31)). So for a mold of volume 1200ml it would be [ 1200 x (1 - .31) ] or [ 1200 x 0.69 = 828ml ]. The water would then make up the remaining volume to fill the mold. Easy!

However, with the other method, the amount of oil required to fill the mold would depend on how much water was to be used. This is dependent on the amount of lye required which, in turn, is dependent on the type and amount of oils being used. Changing the volume of oils changes the amount of lye, which changes the amount of water, which again changes the volume of oils to fill the mold. This is a circular reference that Excel doesn't like. It may be easier for me to include a table translating lye concentration to water as a % of oils if this is possible. It's just after midnight here so this will be a problem for future Grant.

Just to reassure everyone, the tool calculates everything by weight using the specific gravity of each oil. I only use volume for the 'mold matching' part.

Thanks to everyone for your help and patience.
1690467108130.png

Thanks for the explanation and all the hard work on this, @Grantxw8! I personally use the SoapMakingFriend calculator because it allows one to figure for master-batched lye, lye adjustments for vinegar and citric acid, dual lye, inventory, costing, additives, saving recipes, using edited versions of saved recipes (helpful for using masterbatched oils), etc.

Since I tend to use the same lye concentration, variations of the same two recipes, and the same molds, I already know how much batter will fill each of those molds.

Please know that I’m not dissing your tool at all. It’s fantastic and will have great appeal to a certain set of soapers who need the features you do offer. Those features don’t fit my personal soaping needs - or at least, not yet! ;) But I’m still cheering you on and keeping an eye on how things progress. 👏🏼🙌🏼

Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it along with the other similar pages I've been reading. I keep hitting the same circular reference issue. I'll try to explain it.

With the "Water as % of Oils" method of calculation once the mold volume is entered the volume of oils is easy to calculate. If the % is 31% (Mold volume x (1 - .31)). So for a mold of volume 1200ml it would be [ 1200 x (1 - .31) ] or [ 1200 x 0.69 = 828ml ]. The water would then make up the remaining volume to fill the mold. Easy!

However, with the other method, the amount of oil required to fill the mold would depend on how much water was to be used. This is dependent on the amount of lye required which, in turn, is dependent on the type and amount of oils being used. Changing the volume of oils changes the amount of lye, which changes the amount of water, which again changes the volume of oils to fill the mold. This is a circular reference that Excel doesn't like. It may be easier for me to include a table translating lye concentration to water as a % of oils if this is possible. It's just after midnight here so this will be a problem for future Grant.

Just to reassure everyone, the tool calculates everything by weight using the specific gravity of each oil. I only use volume for the 'mold matching' part.

Thanks to everyone for your help and

Might the explanations here help you straighten out your circles?

To calculate oils for individual cavity molds I have filled them with water, then weighed the water, which also gives me volume for the cavity. Of course, this works only using water because the weight also equals volume. For my log and slab molds, I just measured the inside length x width x depth in centimeters to calculate the volume, then multiply by 0.7 to calculate the grams of oils needed for a batch. I let the soap calculator determine amount of water and lye required for the weight of specific oil blends based on the water:lye ratio I set.

Thanks for the explanation and all the hard work on this, @Grantxw8! I personally use the SoapMakingFriend calculator because it allows one to figure for master-batched lye, lye adjustments for vinegar and citric acid, dual lye, inventory, costing, additives, saving recipes, using edited versions of saved recipes (helpful for using masterbatched oils), etc.

Since I tend to use the same lye concentration, variations of the same two recipes, and the same molds, I already know how much batter will fill each of those molds.

Please know that I’m not dissing your tool at all. It’s fantastic and will have great appeal to a certain set of soapers who need the features you do offer. Those features don’t fit my personal soaping needs - or at least, not yet! ;) But I’m still cheering you on and keeping an eye on how things progress. 👏🏼🙌🏼
Hi AliOop,

I'm always of the opinion that being offended is a choice. It's really hard to offend me. :) I'm really grateful for the help in improving the tool. If I can incorporate the improvements you have suggested then it will be good for everyone - including myself. So, many thanks for taking the time.

I have a problem in getting my tool to agree with the soapmakingfriend calculator. I'm puzzled by what seems to be an error in this picture:
Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 11.34.04 am.png

As I read the list of oils and the weights it says 1090.64g. However my tool adds that list up as 913.85g. A quick check with a calculator tells me the real answer is 913.85g This would seem to be a reason why my lye values are lower than the soapmakingfriend calculator. Can someone help point out what is probably a very obvious mistake on my part. I just can't see it.

My settings were:
CleanShot 2023-07-28 at 11.58.35.png

Any and all input accepted gratefully.

Thank you for not being offended! I also try not to take offense and come from the perspective that most people do mean well.

In response to your questions:

1. longevity = palmitic + stearic.

2. Regarding the difference in oil amounts, did you include the 4% superfat in the oil total on your spreadsheet? I’m no mathematician, but that seems to be about the difference that I’m seeing between your oil total and the SMF oil total.

One more thing; I notice that in the graph provided by the soapmakingfriend calculator there is an output called “Longevity”. Does anyone know how that is calculated? I see that my standard recipe doesn’t score well on that variable. 😩
@AliOop beat me to the answer while I was looking for the longer explanation in a thread I saw a few nights ago, after which I ceased to stress so much over the longevity number. @Grantxw8, check out this link. I bookmarked it this time so I don’t lose it. 😉

Latest posts

Back