soap still not hard after 3 days

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tourist4ever

Reaction score
hi
I'm still new to soap making. I've been using this recipe for a while now as it went fine in individual moulds so I made a loaf
however after 3 days the soap is still not hard enough see pictures. could anybody help what could I add/change to make the soap harder (or is the wait time longer before unmoulding?) I read about salt being added but don't know if that will be enough

olive pomace 360g
180g Shea butter
288g coconut oil
72g castor
36g eo
270g water
126g lye

thanks so much!
IMG_20231015_121932390.jpg

You also used 8% Castor Oil which can make a soap sticky. I suggest decreasing the Castor Oil to 5% and adding some Sodium Lactate to your Lye Solution at 1 teaspoon per pound (or 453.592 grams) of oils.

Put it in the freezer to harden so you can remove it from the mold. I also agree with the above suggestions and cut the castor there is really no need for 8% castor. I prefer 3% since the castor contributes to acceleration, and does not add bubbles it supports bubbles.

thanks so much everyone! I will decrease the castor to 5 percent and add salt. if I decrease the castor I'm guessing I would use more olive oil.
thanks again:)

If you like the way the soap feels when using it then there’s no need to decrease the castor oil. I love soaps high in castor oil. It’s really a preference thing. That’s why I love soap making. I get to make the soap that I want. Sodium lactate may make it easier to unmold your soaps though.

Latest posts

Back