soap making machine

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are all wasting your breathe, or well typing, and time. You can tell by the way he types that English is not his first language and his way of doing things is very common in his culture. He probably thinks you are all just jealous and will not be able to understand how you believe you are helping him by trying to warn him not to sell.

I've seen this many many times and it is a culture thing. Sad but true.

I came to deeply respect people on this forum, please Dorymae do not break my faith. English is my second language also, and your post felt like a slap to me...
So dissapointing ...

I came to deeply respect people on this forum, please Dorymae do not break my faith. English is my second language also, and your post felt like a slap to me...
So dissapointing ...

I apologize, I certainly did not mean any disrespect to anyone from anywhere. The only point I was trying to make is that people do things differently in different places. I certainly was not trying to make anyone feel uncomfortable. Nor was I trying to imply that doing things differently is wrong, it is just different.

So dissapointing ...

While I agree that the OPs intentions are not right I can't agree with some comments. To comment on persons culture or poor English language is a very poor form. Since some of the replies said exactly (and correctly) what the OP wanted to say, it's clear those posters understood what OP actually meant. There was no need to rub it in his/her face. I was laughed at few times for my "bad" English which is not my first language although I live in Australia and it really didn't feel nice. I didn't know soap making knowledge and IQ are measured with how well person knows English?

While I agree that the OPs intentions are not right I can't agree with some comments. To comment on persons culture or poor English language is a very poor form. Since some of the replies said exactly (and correctly) what the OP wanted to say, it's clear those posters understood what OP actually meant. There was no need to rub it in his/her face. I was laughed at few times for my "bad" English which is not my first language although I live in Australia and it really didn't feel nice. I didn't know soap making knowledge and IQ are measured with how well person knows English?

Again I can only apologize for any I offended. I have never been a very tactful person, it is a fault of mine that I am aware of and that I do try to correct. (I very often find my foot in my mouth.)

I do try to think things through before writing or speaking, however not being a very sensitive person on issues (read- never caught on to political correctness - there was none when I was younger) I find I still occasionally do cause some hurt feelings. I truly do not wish to cause anyone to become upset, and apologize for any harm or distress I may have caused.

Again I can only apologize for any I offended. I have never been a very tactful person, it is a fault of mine that I am aware of and that I do try to correct. (I very often find my foot in my mouth.)

I do try to think things through before writing or speaking, however not being a very sensitive person on issues (read- never caught on to political correctness - there was none when I was younger) I find I still occasionally do cause some hurt feelings. I truly do not wish to cause anyone to become upset, and apologize for any harm or distress I may have caused.

I think she's apologized enough, no need to drag her through the mud over a mistake.

So right now I have decided to give on my machine based soaps and stick to cp soaps. I'm going to 2 batches tomorrow, and the recipe Will be:
25% coconut oil
35% canola oil
35% palm oil
5% olive oil
Water at 35% and lye according to soapcalc will be about 14%. I would be glad for any advice on the recipe but what really need, is to know how to check it out after it cured, like many people here showed me, so, what are the tests and how do I it?

Canola oil has a relatively short shelf life so I'd reduce that to 10-15% of the recipe and use olive oil for the balance. To check for lye heaviness you can do the zap test (wet your finger, run it along the soap, have a taste). If it tastes like soap and doesn't zap your tongue, it's good to go. Obviously check for even consistency with no lye pockets, crystals, or oozing oils. For new recipes, reserve at least one bar or a scrap end and label it so you can check its condition at 1 month, 2 months, 6 months, a year, to make sure your soap is not going to become rancid and to determine scent longevity.

Well I made it just now, cut down the canola to 15% and even added some grape seed oil, looks great and I hope it will be too, thx for the advice

I am so glad you listened to advice. This forum is full of helpful folks. Even if someone does not want to hear what we have to say, it is good, level-headed, sane advice.

And about the english is a second language thing, obviously some people have not read how younger Americans communicate these days. I did not have any trouble whatsoever reading your posts. Can't say that for some Americans.

Though English is in fact my 2nd language, the last two years I have been living in Thailand, so my English got so bad from talking just English words yet no grammar. It was much better before

Waisbrod, I owe you the biggest apology. Your English is fine. Actually very very good for a second language, I never meant to imply otherwise. There are very small nuisances that people can pick up and realize it is a second language for you - but that is absolutely normal.

I'm going to tell you now I lived in Vienna Austria for 2 years and learned German while I was there. Your English is better than my German ever was! Now after not speaking for many years, I can understand most of what I hear but I struggle to answer.

I am sorry I made you feel so out of place, please accept my apology. Oh, and Susie is right. I have 2 teenagers still at home and at times I can't understand a thing they are saying!

I would find out what is the least expensive fat available to you then try to work a recipe around your least expensive oil/fat. I do happen to love canola in soap and have not had it go rancid. I keep superfat no higher than 3% when using a lot of canola. Although I had a bar at 7% superfat for a year with no problems, but a humid enviroment will also make a difference

Just a warning for your next soap batch. Grape seed oil has a large percentage of linolenic fatty acid and is unfortunately also prone to early rancidity. I wish it wasn't, I really like it.

Waisbrod, I think much of people's frustration comes from the fact that we see some beginners look at the art of soapmaking as a simple thing. If you see a recipe, you see oils, water, lye, mix them together.....voila, you get soap, right? Well, yes and no. Those of us who have been making soap for any amount of time know that there is so much behind it. Yes, you can throw ingredients together and get a bar of soap. But do you just want to make an average bar of soap? You can already find those on the shelves in any store, and no one wants to pay a premium price for average. Or do you want to make something wonderful?

In that case, you need to go deeper. Learn about the oils and butters you use. Each one affects your end product in a different way. And there are additives you can use, like sodium lactate to make a harder bar, and rosemary oleoresin extract, which is an anti-oxidant, and many others. Learn about fragrance oils, and essential oils. Are some of them dangerous say, to pregnant women? You should know this. Milk soaps have their own set of rules. Will you use colorants? There are many different ways to color a bar of soap, some natural, some not. You don't use oxides in the same way you use micas, or clay.

You need to know about things like trace. What does emulsion look like, light trace, medium, oops, hurry and shove it into the mold. What is ricing? Is there anything that can be done? What caused your soap to turn that funny color? Can you just pour a bottle of beer and dissolve lye in it, or do you have to do something with the beer first? What caused those streaks? What are those orange spots? What does it mean if your soap looks like brains on top, what's that white powder on top, why is it cracked on top.......oh there are so very many things to know. I could go on and on. You should know what these things are, how to avoid them, and if they happen, how to deal with them.

It's because we've made soap for a long time, and have probably encountered many if not all of these situations, that it frustrates us when someone comes along and wants to do it all instantly. We know that it's not possible to make good soap in a hurry. You can do it. But you need to slow down. I've had people get annoyed with me because they've asked me how they can make soap,and when I start going into detail, they assume I'm just trying to make it complicated so that they won't attempt it. They were thinking that they could just run home and whip up a batch for themselves. Soapmaking is easy....and it's complicated, at the same time.

But like I said, you can do it. Study the ingredients. Learn to use Soap Calc. Read all you can. Make practice batches, and tweak them until you have a recipe you can be proud of. Read all you can. When you run up against a wall, ask for help here. And once you've done all that, then you'll begin to understand the frustration of people who have been doing this for a long time, when someone comes along and wants to do it overnight. Many of us consider soapmaking an art to be practiced and perfected. It's something we love and feel passionately about. One day, you may feel the same way. Good luck to you!

I am a beginner in soaping too, and in English also. I understand why Darymae got upset, and she apologized a few times, and it is good we can move on.
People here are very helpful. I do not ask many question I rather put it in a search bar. Most of them are answered :)
I am lucky I do not think of selling my soaps. I relax and make fancy things for my family and I:)
navigator9 said:
And once you've done all that, then you'll begin to understand the frustration of people who have been doing this for a long time, when someone comes along and wants to do it overnight. Many of us consider soapmaking an art to be practiced and perfected. It's something we love and feel passionately about.
It is exactly what waisbord lacking; the passion, the love for a new hobby:)) It does not matter what we do, we must to come to love it, otherwise nothing makes sense. Money is nice, and helpful to live but I do not think this forum is only about business and making money....

Dorymae, don't worry about it, all is good.
Right now I'm taking about a month to do one good recipe at low cost, and by doing I'm getting my own small place to work, so then I could really enjoy the art of soap making. But without this first good recipe that I can start working full time in this, I barely have time for that even as a hobby. I am spending right now every second I have to research. Obviously every batch I make teaches so much, and with your help I'm sure I can get there fast enough. My strong will, will overcome any obstacle ahead.

Isn't anyone at all interested in the machine? All newbie soap stuff (that seems to happen at least weekly) aside, I am somewhat fascinated by the idea of a machine into which ingredients can be poured and bars of soap obtained at the far end - it sounds like a Rube Goldberg delight! At the output discussed, I can't imagine it being a big contraption...so it is to homemade soap what a bread maker is to baking?

The type of machine he is talking about is industrial. It uses a whole different method of making soap. They are in the ten's of thousands of dollars and I don't think anyone here has any experience with them.

Now if you want large production handcrafted soap equipment you can check out http://soapequipment.com/ . You could still spend a good chunk of change for a full set up but this would be more in line with the handcrafted/artisan soaps that we make.

Just curious, will the soaps eventually be marketed as "handmade" or "handcrafted"?

If you pour stuff in one end, press a button and soap comes out of the other - I would not call that hand made, hand crafted or anything to do with hands (unless it was a tough cleansing soap for hands!)

The stuff on the link from Dory is I think the limits. Anything beyond that and you are away from hand-made.

As for the soap making machines - here is about the most information I can find. Understandable why the OP wanted help, as this gives nothing. As I said, if anyone really wanted to know how they work, they should enquire by the firm for a demo

http://www.sakunengineers.in/bath-soap-making-machine.html

Latest posts

Back