Rosin and ROE, where to buy it

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got to make a soap bar with frankincense resin powder several day ago. Tried really hard to melt the powder in coconut and shea butter mix. Got oils to around 160F and kept at it for 10-20 min, hoping that it will melt like pine rosin does. No luck. Smaller pieces might have melted somewhat, but it is hard to tell. I still made 600 gr batch of soap with that. Soap looks nice, the smell 4 days later kind of decreased, need to stick the nose into the soap to really smell it. I used 5% PPO like I would with the EOs. The SP was 4% just in case if resin melt and increases the superfat. The batter traces VERY fast. I made soap with pine rosin and pine tar... this traced faster. I was happy that I planned to use single molds. Overall, the soap is nice and leathers well, but not sure it is worse the price. Here is the pic:
resin soap.jpg

I finally got to make a soap bar with frankincense resin powder several day ago. Tried really hard to melt the powder in coconut and shea butter mix. Got oils to around 160F and kept at it for 10-20 min, hoping that it will melt like pine rosin does. No luck. Smaller pieces might have melted somewhat, but it is hard to tell. I still made 600 gr batch of soap with that. Soap looks nice, the smell 4 days later kind of decreased, need to stick the nose into the soap to really smell it. I used 5% PPO like I would with the EOs. The SP was 4% just in case if resin melt and increases the superfat. The batter traces VERY fast. I made soap with pine rosin and pine tar... this traced faster. I was happy that I planned to use single molds. Overall, the soap is nice and leathers well, but not sure it is worse the price. Here is the pic:
View attachment 76707
Frankincense can take quite awhile to completely dissolve into oil. What kind of ratio did you use frankincense resin to oil? A 1:2 or 1:3 ratio usually works best. I will usually infuse my oil before hand. Put it in a jar with a lid and then put that jar in a crockpot at low. It can take up to six hours for it to completely dissolve and then you will just need to filter it. Depending on what type of frankincense you got it may be an oleo gum resin which has some water soluble parts to it and those will not dissolve in the oil. You could put that in the trace though and it should dissolve then. I prefer to use the whole resin instead of the EO because I believe none of the boswallic acid (most of the benefit is from this) actually come out in the essential oil. I encourage you to try again and do the infusion ahead of time.

I used 30 mg in about 150 mg of coconut and shea butter mix. I just put it after melting butters and kept it worm. You can obviously see large particles of resin in the soap. Which in my opinion made it pretty, but I dough it has any benefits except of some exfoliating.
I still have rosin left so will try to dissolve it first and for a longer time. Maybe at higher temp?

I used 30 mg in about 150 mg of coconut and shea butter mix. I just put it after melting butters and kept it worm. You can obviously see large particles of resin in the soap. Which in my opinion made it pretty, but I dough it has any benefits except of some exfoliating.
I still have rosin left so will try to dissolve it first and for a longer time. Maybe at higher temp?
I think your temp is probably fine. I wouldn't go much more than 200 fahrenheit. I think it's more the amount of time that you gave it to infuse. Give it a couple hours in the hot water bath method and see what it looks like.

Latest posts

Back