Soap Leaves or sheets

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happysoap

Reaction score
Anyone out there figured out how to make soap leaves or sheets? I have seen soap leaves that claim to be handmade but I can not figure how how to make them aaaaand how to keep them from breaking? I am thinking MP or CP poured very thin but how to cut or get them out of the mould without them breaking? Anyone have any ideas?

there's a tutorial on soapqueen a long time ago. she used mp and water soluble paper. i'm not very fond of using water soluble paper coz it's going to add to cost too much.

if i were to make it, i might use mp or cp, pour at a very thin trace in a wide (slab) silicone mold and just use cookie cutters to shape it. you can also use non silicone mold and use a wax paper. i think the thin soap will be easy to peel using the wax paper.

the tricky part is, of course, pouring very thin. it ain't soap paper if it's thick, right? :p

You can add extra glycerin to M & P to help keep the soap pliable. Thats how they make jelly rolls with M & P.

be careful when adding extra glycerin to mp soap though, it can make the soap more prone to sweating. you want to keep the soap as dry as possible when stacked together.

I've used molds from First Impression molds, they are very detailed, I think they would be easiest to do in M&P due to the depth. Here is an example from their site:

http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/tl112leafassortment114x212x18.aspx

They also have a smaller one that is a little less expensive, I've never been disappointed with their molds, and they will exchange unused items. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but might be worth checking out.

Years ago when I made M&P I used to make soap petals. You just melt the soap base, dip your petals in, let them dry. Voila! Soap petals. You can do the same with soluble paper. The idea is to use a one time wash and toss the petal away. I assume the water soluble paper dissolves but never used it. In any event the soap petals were not popular in my area so I gave up making them.

Thanks everyone :D I will give your suggestions a go next weekend. Let you know how it goes.

Or this? http://nizzymoulds.com/Planer.htm

In my experience, most CP soaps will shave and form nicely into thin, pliable sheets and curls if the work is done when the soap is freshly made.

If I were to get into this in a big way, I'd probably tweak my recipe for best results. I'd probably start with a recipe with that has a moderate to low cleansing score (not too much lauric or myristic acid to avoid too much hardness/brittleness) and a blend of fats (vs. a one-oil recipe, such as castile). But that's just my thoughts ... YMMV.

Planer or vegetable peeler. Agree that a hard soap wouldn't work quite as well, but neither will a "sticky" bar. Might take some experimenting to find the right timing and recipe

The other option I have see mentioned is to pour soap on a smooth flat surface (they used a flexible cutting mat). then pour off the excess to leave a thin layer, which is then allowed to dry/cure until it can be peeled off (suggestion was to use cookie cutters to make shapes, too)

I also tried these years ago using a nice low cleansing soap recipe. Don't remember the exact cp recipe I used but it was most likely one of my lard recipes by pouring them a thin layer on a silicone mat. They did not work, but like Candybee mentioned they just were not popular and not worth the extra work. Planing short aged bars also works well, but mine never came out as thin as pouring batter at thin trace. Just make sure your mat is inside a catch container incase in runs off the edge of the mat

This can be done by arranging cookie cutters in a silicon pan as close as possible then pour very thin layer of soap because the cookie cutters are touching bottom and if you did a good job wedging them in they won't move. You then just let them dry, I even give them an extra day if I don't want to bend or curl any of the shapes. After dry gently pull out the cookie cutters slowly after that you will see the impressions and they just peel right off. If they do stick a little use a spatula. GOOD LUCK.

Latest posts

Back