soap dye colors face

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
A long long time ago I tried to dye some soap a blue color. It worked, but I noticed that when using, it turned the face a faint blue color. thankfully it did rinse off, but it was an "oh gosh" moment.
Any idea why that happened, and any ideas how to prevent it from happening again??
I don't remember what kind of dye it was, but I really do not want a repeat..
thanks for your thoughts.

I've gotten the impression that micas are the preferred colorants for soaps. I've got a bunch ordered (and can't wait to try them!), but to date I've been using mainly mineral pigments in my soaps. Ultramarine blue, pink and lavender, red and yellow iron oxides, green chromium oxide, titanium dioxide, and activated charcoal. It's really easy to use too much is something that I keep discovering. The 1 teaspoon PPO I've seen as generally recommended usage rates generally turns out to be too much- resulting in colored lather and staining washcloths (especially for blue!), so I'd suggest starting really low with the usage rate of whatever you try.

how do you get vibrant colors without high concentrations of pigment??
And is one of dye type worse at staining faces and washcloths than another kind of pigment??

also, I saw something on the internet about making soap with activated charcoal. Having used it for upset stomachs, I know it stains the fingers terribly, so I personally wouldn't touch it for dyeing soap for that reason...
any thoughts?
thanks,

also, I saw something on the internet about making soap with activated charcoal. Having used it for upset stomachs, I know it stains the fingers terribly, so I personally wouldn't touch it for dyeing soap for that reason...
any thoughts?
thanks,
I use AC for black regularly and it does not stain the face, a white wash cloth is another story. As for a blue that stained the face it makes me very curious what type of dye you used. I use blue ultramarine's, micas and lakes with none staining the face. Any bright colored soap can stain a washcloth or even porus tile if the soap is set straight on it, that is why I tell my customers to always use a draining soap dish. Mica's will give a very nice bright colors. Purple Raspberry (red 33) will stain if used to heavily, which is available from The Sage. But I have only had it stain wood soap dishes and light color washcloths

how do you get vibrant colors without high concentrations of pigment??
And is one of dye type worse at staining faces and washcloths than another kind of pigment??

any thoughts?
thanks,

First question- best answer I can come up with at the moment is sneak up on it. Make a batch of some really slow tracing soap, at only 1 or 2% superfat, and leave out your fragrance while you're playing with the color. I'd do a 500g batch for this. Mix 1 teaspoon of one color in an ounce (by weight) of oil in a small container. Start adding it to your batter very gradually, 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon at a time and mixing the batter well. You should reach a color you're happy with well before you run out of colored oil. Keep track of how much you use, with your batch notes.

Gelling your soap will also help the colors look brighter. In your recipe, use a lye concentration of 25-35%. Once you've got the color to your satisfaction, and added any fragrance you want, insulate your soap. Lots of ways to do this, depending on your circumstances. The goal is to help it stay warm enough just long enough for it to gel all the way through.

I've not had problems with AC staining my skin from the soap I've included it in. I've also not used large amounts. It uses the same 'rule of thumb' of 1 teaspoon PPO that other colorants usually do, experiment and adjust accordingly. It is kind of a pain to work with, the grains weigh next to nothing and will go airborne at the slightest provocation. Iron oxide is another option for black, but I haven't tried it yet.

Well, firstly you need to be sure you are using a colorant that works well for soap - many do not. Micas and oxides made for soap coloring are the usual choices. Then you need to be sure you don't use too much :) I like indigo for coloring soap blue, but it reacts very strangely sometimes, and can fade to green or even tan.

Activated charcoal is awesome for soaps - but again finding that sweet spot between a disappointingly grey soap and "OMG the lather is black" is a learning process and a good reason to keep careful notes.

Just make sure the manufacturer of your mica approves of it's use in cold process soap. If not, your colors can morph into a completely different color.

Re: AC in soap: I use it in tooth soap and it definintely makes dark grey lather, than looks unattractive if you see it dribbling down the side of the mouth. It does not stain, but if I were to wash my face with soap with AC, the lather would also be grey. (I don't use soap on my face.)

In my experience, AC washed out easily and does not leave lasting stains in washcloths, but it might depend on the fabric blend in the washcloth. Some fabrics hold onto stains more readily than others.

My guess is indigo "stained" your face. Now let me tell you why I think that.

At work one day a few years ago I noticed my arms were blueish, hinting the color of veins low in oxygen. I showed them to a coworker, who completely freaked out and insisted on taking me to the building's nurse. I felt fine and tried to resist, but not knowing the cause I eventually gave in. We got to the reception room and there was a man who really did look sick already waiting. When the nurse came in a few minutes later, she asked who was first, to which the man replied, "I was, but please take her first, she doesn't look good." I said I felt fine but didn't know why my arms were blue, and that my circulation seemed fine. I kid you not, the nurse commented that if poor circulation caused that color, I'd be dead! Then she asked if I had been around ink or dye.

I pondered that a second and the aha came to me -- the new indigo-dyed shirt I was wearing! It wasn't its first time out, but somehow that day I must have rubbed the insides of my arms against my sides more than usual. We all laughed, I thanked the nurse and the guy who really did have a problem, and I headed back to the office to tell my story.

I have certainly used indigo soap without discoloring my skin, though it does (or can) put off colored suds. So I wouldn't be surprised if a little indigo might stick and give you a look of death!

Hmmm, I have an idea for the upcoming Halloween :rolleyes::bath1:

Back