Soap discoloration - Did I make a mistake?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
Okay - so I made this soap about three days ago. Some of the bars are dark in the middle and lighter on the outside. They have not shown any change since the first 24 hours. There is one bar that I cut open and they are very dark on the inside.

Did I make a mistake somewhere or should I just wait for these to still change? There is no zap when I zap tested. I think they are usable, just wondering why they look like this?!

It's my 6th batch of soap so far so I am VERYYYYY new but none of my other soaps have done this so I think I am over-concerned... but just wanted to ask anyway.

(you can see the four bars in the very middle have a more even coloring - those are scented with a little bit of EO that I added right before pouring in the mold)

(unscented on left, EO of lavender and patchouli on right)

Last edited:
Looks like a partial gel, perhaps? If so, it's only an ascetic issue :)

Fuzled said:
Looks like a partial gel, perhaps? If so, it's only an ascetic issue :)

Lol, I suppose you mean esthetic issue. :wink: I've had partial gel too and the soap works fine even so.

i believe the word is aesthetic

and yes, it impacts only the appearance and not the quality of the soap
(well, there are some minor things, but nothing to worry about)

I didn't use a fragrance oil, just used essential oil in a couple of the bars

I have been looking up on tips to make soap with milk as I am hoping to make my first batch of GM soap soon. Apparently, the cooler the tempeture you mix the oils and lye, the lighter the colour will be, and the higher the temp the darker the colour. Between 35C(95F) and 40C(104F) are best temps from what I've read.

Slight hijack

ascetic:
a person who dedicates his or her life to a pursuit of contemplative ideals and practices extreme self-denial <-- certainly not me.. didn't mean this at all!

aesthetic /esthetic: yes this is what I meant.. and I looked it up, appears both of these spellings are correct seems it depends on what side of the Atlantic you're come from :)

Back