So angry. Bath salt tins rusted.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytreats

Reaction score
I am soooo angry. I bought these beautiful tins to house my bath salts, and today when I went to use some, I found rust on the sides! This has never happened before, and I've been packaging my salts in these metal tins for 2 years now.
There was absolutely NO water in this particular tin, as it has never been used. I started opening up some of my other tins out if curiosity, and 3/4 of them had rust!
Maybe it was too warm and humid in the room I was storing them in? Is it "safe" to use the salts if they've come into contact with the rust?
Is there anyway to complain the company that sold them to me?

Oh, I'd be angry too!

Unfortunately I had some issues like that in the past. Since I had had them for 7-8 months, I was unable to return them. I learned to not order more than I could use within 3-4 months. It was a hard lesson for me....I know how you feel:-( It truly is a balancing act to figure out our needs for the perishables. And, tins, some of them, are perishable. Sad to say.

It is my hopes, that you haven't had them past the mfg cut off time for making a return...
Kittie

IF I recall correctly, PaperMart has rust free tins. I was thinking of using tins for something or other, and found that they had the best prices around, by a long shot.

Salt + metal is going to equal rust sooner or later I believe. I used to live on the ocean and it was just a fact of life - even with relatively low humidity.

I did email the customer service of the company I bought the tins from. But it's a long weekend in Canada, so I have to wait until Tuesday. Sigh, that makes me so mad. I've been making bath salts for 4 years now and I've never run into that problem before. This year the weather has been just out of control with the heat and humidity, I suppose that's what caused it all.
If I were to package the salts with an air tight lid or a old with a rubber gasket, would the stop rust from forming? Or should I stray away from tin cans altogether?

Right! I've seen that Paper Mart does carry rust free metal tins. But I am from Canada, and the shipping charges are not worth it. :(

IF I recall correctly, PaperMart has rust free tins. I was thinking of using tins for something or other, and found that they had the best prices around, by a long shot.
I have had their tins rust with certain eo's and fo's. Even coated I have had problems with tins at times and quit using them for my solid lotions and lip butters

I have had their tins rust with certain eo's and fo's. Even coated I have had problems with tins at times and quit using them for my solid lotions and lip butters

what is the best way to package solid lotion then? other than using those rolled lip balm containers. thinking to add solid lotion to my inventory to sell, but still not sure about the packaging.

Well I have mini salves in metal slide tins, and I've had no problem with rust so far. I've been making those for 4 years. Youd think if you're using wax in your solid lotions, water can't penetrate through it to cause the metal to oxidize. But I'm no chemist! sucks!

It could also be that the salts weren't dry before you stored them. Sometimes I used too much fragrance oil and a few weeks later my salts were liquified.

Latest posts

Back