Preservatives for Scrubs, body wash etc.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 60597

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I'm newer to all things bath and body. I have been doing countless hours of research on the perfect scrub formulation and thanks to a lot of people like you, it's coming along well besides the pounds of test scrubs everywhere in my workroom lol. I have a question on preservatives. In all the formulations I have found and made, they all include a preservative and I put them in. But, looking a few"big guys" (not inexpensive) online, I notice a few companies do not have preservatives listed on the ingredients. One company has vitamin E and honey and the other lists rosemary extract. These products are well known and sold nationwide. I guess my question is, aren't preservatives required to sell? From what I have read, those things are NOT preservatives but just help the oils from not going rancid. I just wondered if anyone had any input. Thanks

You as manufacturer have the responsibility of making a safe product; realize too that the "big guys" both have dedicated facilities & teams for sanitation... and may be using a preservative that can be somewhat disguised as "fragrance"... or lying on the ingredients list. Or getting recalls for contaminated product.

You wouldn't want to take those chances with your customers, or your business, or its reputation , would you?

You as manufacturer have the responsibility of making a safe product; realize too that the "big guys" both have dedicated facilities & teams for sanitation... and may be using a preservative that can be somewhat disguised as "fragrance"... or lying on the ingredients list. Or getting recalls for contaminated product.

You wouldn't want to take those chances with your customers, or your business, or its reputation , would you?
No! Not al all. I will always use a preservative, selling or just gifting. I was just confused seeing this or lack of on an ingredients listing.

I also use Germall and Phenonip. Although with all the hullabaloo about parabens - even though I think they are fine in the quantities in which we use them in B&B - I admit that I broke down and bought some Optiphen Plus (rather than Pheno) for my Christmas gift making just because of the labels.

Don’t even get me started on people who chow down on bacon but won’t use soap made with lard.

Latest posts

Back