SMF Soap Making Challenge October: Hidden Feather Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've started mine! I had everything organised and was congratulating myself on being so organised (which is quite rare), until I got to the bit where I needed the hanger. Then it was complete panic - Where on earth was it? I hadn't even got it out ready (how the mighty fall!). When I did find it, I realised I was doing a small test batch and it was much too large. I have never bent a hanger so fast in my life. It was crooked and wavy, but at that stage I didn't care. The hanger was going in, I was determined to finish! I'm not sure how it will turn out. My mould is tall and skinny and finding the space to put my cardboard dividers in was difficult, let alone trying to pour the batter in such a small space. But, God did I enjoy myself!! I must be mad.

Well, that was interesting. I do not know what I will see tomorrow. However, I will be gobsmacked if I happen to see anything resembling a feather in my soap!

This is the first time I soaped using my masterbatched oils and lye. Also the first time I "slowly" stickblended my batter to emulsion (looked for the change from light and dark swirled to completely light and everything :) So, being used to my overblending ways I moved at the same speed that I usually do when it came to pouring ... mistake. The batter had not become thick enough. The colored batter layers quickly settled into my uncolored bottom. Plus, I had cut my dividers too tall - which didn't allow me to pour closer to the bottom layer.

All that said, there did come a time when I was able to get some thicker layers laid down. It's just that at that time, I forgot the order in which I was pouring my batter because the phone rang. I soldiered on though and while I don't think I'll see a feather in the middle of my soap(probably more like a blob), I like the fragrance a lot - Fragrance Buddy's Nectarine and Mint.

Oh well, off to make an unscented, uncolored batch as requested by my dear, undemanding, patient daughter :roll:

I had a go at this tonight. Was one of those times where it all goes wrong in the last moments! All seemed well, i got my soap into squirt bottles no problem, then as i start to do the layers it seems to have solidified in the bottles...aargh! I did manage to finish it but imagine it's going to look pretty messy inside. Also my bars are pretty small as i couldn't get half the soap out of the bottles!

I was thinking about that as I plopped that last batch into the mold. I've got several squirt bottles from an art class. I got to thinking just how hard they would be to clean and what if the soap thickened too fast to squirt out!

I made my own hanger tool when i first got my tall n skinny mold that I used for mine, I did have to make two dividers. I think it went well..my base color is not one solid color, my design for it went well I think.

Bwahahaha okay so I can't officially join this challenge so I was going to do one on my own. I made a couple mistakes. #1. I researched many t&s molds and thought this one held 44 oz of oils. Well I was 16 oz. Short. #2. I forgot that me and yuzu was a not fast mover but it moved quicker than I thought it did once it got into the mold. I went to hanger swirl the batter I did have and it was peanut butter once it sat in the mold. Also, I much like everyone else have two different style ends. One with 3 lines and one with two. Well next time I'll use the wider set.

On the other hand I LOVE my color choice. Sigh. I will try again tomorrow.

Pleasantly surprised when I cut this today, there is something resembling a feather in there! Smells lovely - passion fruit and rose - but a tricky FO to work with! So I will be having another go with hopefully a better behaved FO!

1444548497828832762499.jpg

Gorgeous colours soap swirl and a lovely feather. I'm impressed that you managed to do that with a tricky fragrance oil!

Well I'm fairly pleased with attempt #1 even though it didn't go exactly as planned. I haven't done much swirling before and I don't think I've ever been so excited to cut into a soap, lol! It's not perfect but I learned a lot from the attempt, and I can't wait to try #2!

Thanks guys :) I was pretty surprised to see anything feather like at all in there! Now i just have to come up with an equally lovely colour scheme for my second attempt...!

I had a go at this tonight. Was one of those times where it all goes wrong in the last moments! All seemed well, i got my soap into squirt bottles no problem, then as i start to do the layers it seems to have solidified in the bottles...aargh! I did manage to finish it but imagine it's going to look pretty messy inside. Also my bars are pretty small as i couldn't get half the soap out of the bottles!
Yeah, after my last disaster, I needed to make a successful loaf of anything else before I tried again....I also ordered a hanger swirl tool that I am very pleased with and I hope makes at least that aspect of the job a little easier...maybe tomorrow..

Alright. Here's my failed attempt. I have a feeling that had I had enough batter I would have been able to make this just the way I envisioned it.
I think it's beautiful...not a feather but beautiful none the less.

I agree. They may not have been the swirl you were looking for Punkin, but they are unique. If you look closely, you can see faces in the swirl.
As for the feather swirl .. given my attempt yesterday, I expect your swirl is much more interesting than mine will be.

Thanks everyone. Yes I'm happy with my crazy skulls. Usually I am one of those that just goes with the flow of what will be will be. I haven't tried an exact pattern yet so I'm not too disappointed in the outcome just my lack of memory in that this one needed more batter

Latest posts

Back