SMF October 2016 Soap Challenge- Spoon Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just cut attempt #2 it looks amazing. Not sure if it will be my entry yet or if I'm going to have time to try again.

I cut attempts #3 & #4 last night. They both look okay, but I don't really like the color combo that much. They remind me too much of that feminine cammo look. One of the mica's turned more brown than red, which was disappointing. But it was a freebie at SoapCon so no financial loss anyway. I'll try again for a more pleasing color scheme.

Happy Birthday Lion Princess! Wishing you all things bright and beautiful on your special day! Hope there's a great celebration planned!

Not making the challenge soap yet; but spent quite a while figuring out what proportion of my little batch was going to allocated to the various colors, then doing the math to get the grams, then converting the grams to cups. I just finished! Whew!

Looks like today I'll just measure out the oils, water, lye, etc. get the colors mixed and be ready to go tomorrow.

Looking forward to trying these colors in with the mango papaya FO, and doing my first spoons swirl!

Like your attempts earlene! The challenge thread was opened yesterday as an fyi. I can't wait to see what you made everyone!
Oh my, I forgot it was so early this month. I packed them away as we are leaving Las Vegas early and I need them out of the way during the next few days. I'll have to photograph #3 & #4 when we get to San Antonio. I may not have time for another attempt before the deadline after all.

I made another attempt today. I am not at all sure how this one is going to work out as I was trying something new and my new FO accelerated!

Yes, I know what you are all thinking: why did she try a new FO in a challenge? :crazy:

Oh my, I forgot it was so early this month. I packed them away as we are leaving Las Vegas early and I need them out of the way during the next few days. I'll have to photograph #3 & #4 when we get to San Antonio. I may not have time for another attempt before the deadline after all.

I went ahead and opened the challenge early this month, but I am leaving it opened until Monday the 24th as opposed to opening on a Friday and closing the next Friday. Hopefully this gives people an extra couple days to finalize their soaps and pics etc. Have fun and be safe!
Are you traveling or moving? I didn't know/see....

Since I've posted an entry, here is a picture of my other tries. Top is a lemon poppy seed soap, which I was making yesterday anyway, so I made extra batter for one more try. Bottom left is an unscented shea butter batch with purple clay as the colorant, and the bottom right is fragranced with the blend that lionprincess created for the fragrance swap and I was lucky enough to receive. Since this is her challenge, I wanted to use it and it was my first attempt, sadly overswirled. I really wish it had turned out better :(

spoon swirl group_0019.jpg

After only 3 hrs sleep the night before, soap making was not on the agenda. I did hope I could nap, but that didn't happen. On top of no sleep my laser thermometer died. It's still shooting red light, but the display isn't working. So I got on Amazon and ordered a new one which will be here Wednesday. So I just covered everything and will make the soap after breakfast today with everything at room temperature.

This was my second spoon swirl attempt. I used the challenge as an opportunity to make the Christmas gifts for the teachers. It is much more dramatic than the one I submitted, but the entire family preferred the more muted coffee soap.

1476719807963.jpg

This was my second spoon swirl attempt. I used the challenge as an opportunity to make the Christmas gifts for the teachers. It is much more dramatic than the one I submitted, but the entire family preferred the more muted coffee soap.

Your soaps are lovely!
For your final entry one did you use used espresso coffee?
Used coffee makes it less scrubby I have found.
I dry it out thoroughly before I put it in soap.

Latest posts

Back