SMF November 2019 Challenge - Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@SoapySuds thank you! It looks like me and @bookreader451 were channeling each other this month. #twinning! :lol:

I spent the last couple of days bugging hubby about my Tiffany boxes, our house is nuts because we finally finished the upstairs renovation, the POD came Thursday, new bed Friday, and movers to empty the POD today.

Mind you the whole time I am bugging hubby about the Tiffany boxes.......so hubby goes on a 4 hour road trip to get me the sausage for my Thanksgiving stuffing and I rip apart the basement, climbing over stuff, wondering why we bothered to store half this junk and why it is back in the basement, and finally find the Tiffany boxes.

I am so psyched, I clean my soap get my picture done and go to upload it and OMG. Well, all I can say is GMTA.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!

"fail" #2 This is actually my 3rd attempt. I don't consider this one a fail, except that it came down to this one and the other one that I will enter, although this one turned out nice, I didn't feel like there was enough contrast in the colors. This one is scented with Energy from CC, the colors are Voodoo, Maniacal Pea, Tangerine and Yellow Raincoat from MO.

View attachment 42656

I really like this one! The one you photoed for the challenge is awesome!

As I mentioned I had muddy edges so I used them for a confetti soap. I love the inside swirls.

Attachments

• BC32A937-F515-4EE9-A3E6-BFCC05A46584.jpeg
    BC32A937-F515-4EE9-A3E6-BFCC05A46584.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 38
Well that did not go as planned to say the least! I wanted to try the Brambleberry Raw Honeycomb fragrance oil I got last month and thought I could work quicker than the "mild acceleration." I was wrong lol. My batter was instant pudding. I was able to mix in my colors, but by the time I got to swirling the middle would not budge!

I have my makeshift cheez-it box slab in the oven at 170 right now as you can see in the picture. I'm hoping the purple and gold will pop. Even if the swirls arent perfect I still think they look pretty and this FO smells wonderful.
My color inspiration was
20191125_025531.jpg
the beeswax soap loaf Anne marie made to promote the lush honey collection. I just love the dark purple and golden yellow together.

The entries so far are awesome,great job you guys!

Mine pales in comparison. Probably could have done with a couple more spins but it was refusing to budge anymore after the spins I did.

But I had so much fun with this! And I like the outcome.. I am gonna get/make myself a proper slab mold (so far my recycled ones are too flimsy) and keep practicing this swirl

1. AMD - Yet another challenge for my fast moving recipe
2. dibbles - Hoping I can do this without slopping batter everywhere!
3. Misschief - This is a technique I want to try again and I MIGHT have time this month..... might.
4. MarnieSoapien - I love spin swirls!! You spin me right round baby...
5. Szaza - this has been on my list for ages! Failed batches here I come!!
6. steffamarie - I’ve been on a bit of a soaping hiatus recently but I’m excited to give this a shot!!
7. Michele50-2 weeks ago my small lazy-Susan arrived from Amazon; it's still in the box, lol. Time to liberate it and give this technique a shot!
8. DKing - This time I will find bottles and give it a go!
9. Primrose - you spin me right round baby right round ..
10. SideDoorSoaps - I hate my slab mold but maybe this might make me like it
11. Bookreader451 - I knew I was saving the boxes for something. McGyver slab here we come.
12. Soapysuds - does it have to be multiple colors? Can I do this with just a few colors, like one? o_O:rolleyes:;)
13. Karmic - Lucky 13!! I'm down for some batter slinging!
14. Mommycarlson - you talked me into it!
15. Kiti Williams - I think I can do this! My soaps are at thin trace because it is easier to pour into the molds.
16. jcandleattic - I'll give it a spin (haha)
17. Ashleigh - My first challenge!
18. Mobjack Bay - under the wire :p
19. Dawni - as usual, this will be a hot processed entry :)

I have that FO and I love it out of the bottle but haven't found the courage to try it because it says it has "medium" acceleration. Which in my case probably means "almost immediate acceleration" lol. I'm sorry for your fail but thank you so much for proving my theory right. I appreciate your sacrifice.

I’ve soaked with it before and didn’t notice the acceleration but it def did this time. Probably because this was a bigger batch.

I was so worried about this all day. When I woke up my loaf had a weird wrinkly top layer, almost like a skin had formed and their was air under the skin. I've never seen this before, it may have been alien brains from over heating.
I let it rest in the mold all day, and just took it out to cut it into bars, and cut the strange texture off the top. I am so thrilled, they actually don't look too bad! I will definitely be trying this technique again but with more soft oils and a non accelerating fragrance for sure.

Attachments

• 20191125_192722.jpg
    20191125_192722.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20191126_004614.jpg
    20191126_004614.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back