Silicone molds ??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vidasworld, they look great! Did you use the wet method with the dish soap or the cornstarch method?

I forgot to mention that the fun part of it can be coloring the molds any color you want. I bought cheap acrylic hobby paint at WalMart and made molds in some different colors. I got started doing the color thing because my granddaughter was working on a mold for her Hallowe'en costume a couple of years ago, and needed a certain color. Maybe when I get home again, I'll get some of them out and photograph them. I think I made grey, blue, and maybe some other color, as well as plain with no added color.

lisat, rather than re-inventing the wheel, I'll post some links to some tutorials for both methods that I've done.

Wet method instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/Worlds-easiest-silicone-mold/

Caulk & cornstarch method (using paint to give it color): http://www.martha.net/2016/03/silicone-caulk-and-cornstarch-molds-take-2/

SunRiseArts, there are a ton of videos out there already. I'll look in my bookmarks and see if I saved any. Oh, yeah, I saved several.

Here is one by SpicyPineCone on how to do the wet method with dish soap:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6z3_dcP1_M[/ame]

And here's one showing how to do the 'dry' method with cornstarch. It's pretty long, over 15 minutes. You can probably find some shorter ones, but it seems to be the only one I saved for this method.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OB8zLKdp_Y[/ame]

I did the wet method ... I hear it's more flexible.. so I tried that first .. do you suggest the dry method might be better???? I'd love to hear from you in this ... I'm so excited .. it's so easy and it's cheap!!!!

I love spicy pine cone ... she's great ... I watched her video .. she makes everything look so easy

Vidasworld, yes, I found the wet method more flexible. If I recall, the dry method was just less messy and the smell didn't seem to be as strong. Which method one prefers, I think, can only be determined by trying them both out and using the different molds.

For two-sided molds, I think I'd prefer the method with cornstarch. But for a single open-top mold without a second connecting side, the wet more flexible method is probably better.

bit late to the party here but I made some moulds a while back 2-3 years ago using the roofing and gutter silicone we use at work. I used a little bit of white spirit to thin it till it was pourable. Stunk to high heavens but worked really well. Took about a week to full cure. No shrinkage and has held up well. I also did make some with the corn starch and found they didn't last as long and shrunk and warped a bit.

Or as others have said random chineese ebay moulds also work well if your willing to wait a month for them to arrive in the post. Same goes for aliexpress and alibaba.

Better late then never lol

Thank you ... it was so easy to make and it's going to be a week - curing ... I will be trying them out soon ..
I actually had some silicone already at home from before and I tried it once again with that silicone AND it DIDnt work!!! So ppl were right it can't be the - General Electric brand they sell it didn't hold up at all ,it wouldn't come together - first time I used the DAP brand and that worked .. I figured it would be faster than waiting a month or so from eBay and those places ..

But thank you all for your great info .. as always so helpful and always willing to share

bit late to the party here but I made some moulds a while back 2-3 years ago using the roofing and gutter silicone we use at work. I used a little bit of white spirit to thin it till it was pourable. Stunk to high heavens but worked really well. Took about a week to full cure. No shrinkage and has held up well. I also did make some with the corn starch and found they didn't last as long and shrunk and warped a bit.

Or as others have said random chineese ebay moulds also work well if your willing to wait a month for them to arrive in the post. Same goes for aliexpress and alibaba.

Pictures please!

So for those that are interested in what they look like .. here they are .. not too shabby

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

Very cool!!! Looks like chewable gummy raspberry! ;)

You make me wanna try again with DIY silicone molds... Last time I use construction silicone ( looks like some YouTuber use that, too ) with corn starch. And I can't make perfect impression of the wanted item. Some details are way too shallow to show up... Will WET method work better??

Latest posts

Back