Silicone molds ??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidasworld12

Reaction score
Hi Everyone ,

I just cant get enough of you guys... Im back with the questions ..

Has anyone ever made a silicone mold - like the ones on youtube??
the 100% silicone with soap water OR silicone and cornstarch??

Im in need of some really cute blueberry embeds and raspberry etc BUT the ones online are CRAZY expensive!!! for like $ 60 +++ WOW!
I guess cause those are the less common ones , I came across a couple of soapers on youtube that made their own... It looks easy on camera...BUT is it really that easy?? and most advise NOT to use GE silicone - and of course all I could find was that ..ughhhh ( I think lowes may have a diff brand - cause homedepot had dap? and GE ) Has anyone had success with GE or the others???

thank you all in advance for all your replies

greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a Google search, there are lots of mold options out there at a variety of prices. I do a lot of DIY projects, but I've always found molds cheaper than I thought I could make them myself.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CID6CJ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

https://www.etsy.com/listing/246395...8c1f027df339&gclid=COCzwNuTsdQCFcyLswodFpILOA
My daughter always bought hers also, most came from China and were certainly cheaper than making yourself. She used to buy some on Etsy, but I think most were from a supplier either listed on Amazon or Ebay shipping from China. So patience it took

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter always bought hers also, most came from China and were certainly cheaper than making yourself. She used to buy some on Etsy, but I think most were from a supplier either listed on Amazon or Ebay shipping from China. So patience it took

Ya I checked out the link .. my shipping is over $25 .. to Canada .. the piece is let's say $25 so I'd be looking at over 50 plus exchange rate ... not worth it .. just for one mold .. that's the issue here .. I'd have to find a place in Canada and so far no luck ... the perks of living in the states

Hi Everyone ,

I just cant get enough of you guys... Im back with the questions ..

Has anyone ever made a silicone mold - like the ones on youtube??
the 100% silicone with soap water OR silicone and cornstarch??

Im in need of some really cute blueberry embeds and raspberry etc BUT the ones online are CRAZY expensive!!! for like $ 60 +++ WOW!
I guess cause those are the less common ones , I came across a couple of soapers on youtube that made their own... It looks easy on camera...BUT is it really that easy?? and most advise NOT to use GE silicone - and of course all I could find was that ..ughhhh ( I think lowes may have a diff brand - cause homedepot had dap? and GE ) Has anyone had success with GE or the others???

thank you all in advance for all your replies

greatly appreciated

To make yours you have to buy the good quality compounds online, and not the cheap ones at the craft store, or it will not work. I tried it. Also you have to make sure they are food safe. The quality compounds online are like 35 + 15+ shipping, so probably not worth it.

The ones from the craft stores are like 18 to 25 with a 40% off coupon, and is not much, You would be able to mold maybe 4 berries. And the mold will not last.

I found berry silicone molds at the dollar store! Sometimes they have them. the 99cent store. I got the rubber duckies mold, stars, berries, and lemon. Or eBay from China for a buck or two with free shipping, but you have to be patience at waiting. Just search for ice cube silicone molds, but check sizes, because some are really tiny.

If you still want to make you own. This is what I would use. Hobbysilicone.

Yes, Vidasworld12, I have made a few using the silicone caulking and corstarch method, and with the silicone caulking and dish soap method. It was fun!

Look at my avatar. I made the mold for that soap using silicone caulking & either the dish soap or the cornstarch. I've also made molds using large sea shells as the subject, and various kids toys.

Everytime I've done this, I do it outside. The smell of the caulking is pretty strong and hangs on within the newly made mold for quite a long time, too. So making it outside keeps the odor out of the house. I've made them with my granddaughter at her house and at various locations around the country during my travels (on balconies in Florida, for example) using the methods described in various youtube videos.

It's really very easy and although messy, a lot of fun.

Drying time before you can use it to make soap is about a week, maybe less. I generally gave it as much time as possible to get the smell of the silicone to dissipate.

How long do they last? Well I can't say for sure because I made the first one about 2 years ago, more or less and none of them have deteriorated. But I don't use them very often, either. My understanding is that over time, the silicone molds made with caulking will shrink some, how much I don't know, but I haven't looked to see if that's happened.

You could look into candy molds, too. I've used them with CP soap with decent results, though they make smaller bars. One caveat about using the ice cube trays. I find that either I have to leave my soap in them forever, or I have to freeze them, then let them thaw before I can pop them out easily.

Hey, Earlene, would you post instructions? That sounds like a lot of fun. I assume you do it like a lost wax casting, where you make the shape you want first, then mold the silicone around it?

EARLENE thx so much .. I actually found the 100 % silicone - not the GE one , so that made me happy
And I got my berries in the freezer - I'm going to try it! I will post it as soon as they are made ... thx for the great info !!!

Thx all for the info .. I actually have a few ice cube molds from ikea- starfish .. like a rod .. flowers
A heart chocolate mold .. oh and today I found a maple leaf mold at Michaels - I got it for 1.50 cause I had the 50% coupon - you guys should all take a look at Michaels if you are looking for common molds - actually really cheap with the coupons.. it's the fruits ones that are harder to find .. but yes you gota have patience..

Thx all for your great replies!!!!!

Yes, Vidasworld12, I have made a few using the silicone caulking and corstarch method, and with the silicone caulking and dish soap method. It was fun!

Look at my avatar. I made the mold for that soap using silicone caulking & either the dish soap or the cornstarch. I've also made molds using large sea shells as the subject, and various kids toys.

Everytime I've done this, I do it outside. The smell of the caulking is pretty strong and hangs on within the newly made mold for quite a long time, too. So making it outside keeps the odor out of the house. I've made them with my granddaughter at her house and at various locations around the country during my travels (on balconies in Florida, for example) using the methods described in various youtube videos.

It's really very easy and although messy, a lot of fun.

Drying time before you can use it to make soap is about a week, maybe less. I generally gave it as much time as possible to get the smell of the silicone to dissipate.

How long do they last? Well I can't say for sure because I made the first one about 2 years ago, more or less and none of them have deteriorated. But I don't use them very often, either. My understanding is that over time, the silicone molds made with caulking will shrink some, how much I don't know, but I haven't looked to see if that's happened.

You should make a video! I would love to learn that, because the ones I have made always crumbled :(

Is aliexpress reliable? Does it has seller protection? Sometimes I see cool stuff there but I am afraid to use them.

It does have buyer protection, I've never had to use it, so I can't tell you anything about that, but I've ordered quite a lot of molds from them, and some other stuff too, and I've yet to have a problem, other than some long delivery times. Although, the things I've ordered more recently haven't taken as long. Don't know if they've gotten speedier, or it it was just a fluke. You really can't beat their prices a lot of the time.

I bought this particular mold the first time at the higher price, because I loved it, and at the time, I couldn't find it anywhere else, so that ends up being $25 with shipping. Now, it's available on Aliexpress for $4 with free shipping. I've bought from both sellers, and it's exactly the same mold. You do need to look around on Aliexpress, because different sellers may offer the same item at different prices. It's kind of hard to resist.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pc...2811464217.html?spm=2114.40010708.4.28.2YLkyv

https://www.etsy.com/listing/213177696/ts013-fly-me-to-the-moon-soap-mold-soap

This Is what it looks like right now .. just waiting for it to dry so I can unmold

IMG_0919.jpg

EARLENE!!!! Look !!! I think I got it ... Fingers crossed .. I will let it cure for a week or so and then try it out I'm super excited !!!

IMG_0921.jpg

Latest posts

Back