Scent different in the same batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeitsashley

Reaction score
I recently made a batch using a oatmeal milk & honey type fragrance and I noticed that the bars I let sit at room temperature have a stronger smell than the ones I chilled. Has anyone had this happen or notice this in your soap? There is also a color difference the room temperature ones are a bit darker in color and the non-gelled ones are more creamy in color.

Non-gelled batches are creamier or lighter in color as compared to gelled batches. I've noticed with non-gelled batches I've done the scent was faint until after setting out for a few days. I think it may just be because of being cold from the frig. It's almost if the soap needed a little recovery period. This may not be the reason. I'm basing this on what I've experienced and my technique is probably different from yours.

How long has the non-gelled soap been out of the frig?

Yup I've noticed this! The scents change completely to me in gelled and non gelled. I made a batch with BB's Black Raspberry Vanilla and I prevented gel in the fridge.. Well I couldn't stand that scent and was surprised because of the good reviews, but when I made a batch and gelled it, it smelled fine! I'm sure it works the other way around also where the heat ruins the scent.

I didn't think about the heat of saponification altering the scent but that's a good suggestion. I had a scent fade from a gelled batch so now I wonder if it would have lasted if I hadn't gelled it. Too many things to try, too little money.

I've never done a side by side comparison of the same recipe/scent both gelled and ungelled. But I've noticed the scent is barely noticeable until my batch has been out of the fridge/freezer for a couple of hours.

I popped the soap out of the mold on the 27th of November. And it does make sense that the temperature would have an affect on the the scent being different. Oh the scent is starting to come through, but I like how the gelled ones smell haha.

Latest posts

Back