Salt/Spa CP Soap - EO Amount?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calathea97

Reaction score
Hi, I'm formulating a salt bar recipe and had a couple of questions and wondered if anyone knew the answer!

Firstly, I'm looking at doing an 100% salt bar and I want to know how to calculate my essential oil usage rate? This is usually based on oil amount - is this still the case? Or is it oil + salt? As I have seen that a couple of times online but the amount looks staggeringly high to me in my calcs based on 4%?!

Secondly, has anyone ever tried doing a solesiefe spa bar? I'm curious to the benefits/disadvantages of this! (e.g basing the whole water amount on salt water (brine) AND doing a standard salt to oil amount of 100%). I know this would be an extremely hard bar and perhaps a low lather but my thinking is that a 100% coconut bar with a 20% superfat would offset this? I have made one which turned out well and was easy to make but haven't tested it out yet as still curing but would love to hear people's thoughts.

Thank you!

I always went with around 7% ppo with my fragrance for salt bars because salt always seemed to eat up the fragrance. But I am from the days before IFRA and still do not pay a lot of attention to it. So take my advice with a grain of salt so to say. With EO's I always used Tissarands guidelines.

Latest posts

Back