Salt soap troubleshooting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabon

Reaction score
Made my salt bar 2 weeks ago and left it to cure in a cardboard box. It has been raining in my area and is extremely humid. Now I see the salt in the soap is melting/ sweating terribly. It still has 2 more weeks to cure. We will be having rains for 2 more months and I don't have any idea how this soap would turn out! Please help with curing ideas for salt soap and other soaps in conditions of extreme humidity.
Note: I have no access to a dehumidifier.

Other than a dehumidifier (which you unfortunately don't have access to), I have no idea. Hopefully, those who live in a very humid climate will chime in. I myself live in a very dry climate, so I'm of no help. Sorry.

IrishLass :)

your air conditioner will also de-humidify the air. Might you have something like an air conditioned closet, or even a spare room you could separate them too? If these soaps are in an environment humid enough to make them sweat, they are not curing in regards to water loss If the moisture concentration of the air is greater than the moisture concentration of the soap, the bars will actually absorb the humidity... which is evident by sweating. I wouldn't try to cure soap in a closed cardboard box either... there is nowhere for the moisture to go, this can also make fresh bars sweat and can also lead to mold or bacteria in the bars.

If nothing else, I think you could put blot the sweating off, wrap each one in a paper towel and then store them in the refrigerator untill the weather is drier... provided you have a good refrigerator that doesn't have a moisture problem. This could help keep them from getting any DOS that would be caused by the excess humidity, as well as prevent melting.

Or you could use them even though they will dissolve faster. Even if they arent drying out, they are still getting milder.

Are they sweating because they are in a box or because of the humid air? does stacking them stonehenge style, out in the open, and pointing a fan at them help with the sweating? Soaps really shouldn't be put in closed boxes untill they are dried out. The box can be used for curing though if you also use something like damp-rid or those silica packets. I know cardboard acts as a dessicant somewhat but I don't know how you would utilize it when the humidity is already very high.

heres a link:
http://etsyfest.blogspot.com/2011/08/ho ... ments.html

What do you mean that the soap is melting ?

Personally, I have noticed sweating, but no other side - effect. Just let them sweat and use them when I'm ready to use them.

I made lots of holes on the sides of the cardboard boxes for the soap to 'breathe'.

Fragola said:
What do you mean that the soap is melting ?

Oops! all I meant was the I found the soap sweating but the looks like the sweating has not affected the hardness of soap. I noticed the sweating in my salt soap. So far my other soaps (without salt) have been doing fine.

Personally, I have noticed sweating, but no other side - effect. Just let them sweat and use them when I'm ready to use them.

After reading this, I feel better already :)

Latest posts

Back