ROE in hard oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this and was reminded by a post by @Barefoot Farm Girl. Do those of you who use hard oils add ROE to them? If so,how? I've never added ROE but think it might be time to start. My recipe is very heavily lard (and lately tallow) based. It seems weird to melt it, then add the ROE and then let it firm up again.

It feels like melting (and then letting it cool and sit for long periods before use) might make it get DOS-sy faster and thus be counterproductive. I tend to buy in large enough bulk that my oils will sit for a couple to five or six months at RT before they get used, not enough fridge or freezer space for cold storage. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Store bought lard and tallow typically have antioxidants added so there's really no point to adding more. I do add ROE to home-rendered lard and tallow while the fat is warm and melted right after rendering. As far as other solid fats like coconut, palm, nut butters, etc -- I don't typically do anything to them

Store bought lard and tallow typically have antioxidants added so there's really no point to adding more. I do add ROE to home-rendered lard and tallow while the fat is warm and melted right after rendering. As far as other solid fats like coconut, palm, nut butters, etc -- I don't typically do anything to them
Same.

Latest posts

Back