Is it normal for a broken bone to hurt during a rainstorm?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
Last time I broke a bone, I was unconscious for a week, only remember small glimpses of the next few months, and a good six months after that are kind of hazy.

I broke my ankle March 14. Was in a boot until the beginning of May and now have a brace. Most of the time, I don't even feel it now. But man, every time there's a storm, it hurts. Really hurts. Intellectually I know that nothing is going to happen if I move but the ouch says I'm going to hurt it if I do. I've had alot of weird experiences but this one is weird. The doctor said I can take the brace off when I'm not walking.

Yep, I'm 48 years old, and I honestly don't know if this is normal or not. Anyone else have this happen with a broken bone just so I know whether I should talk to my doctor? Is it just me?

Yes.

It will probably ease off in the coming year or so.

The change in barometric pressure affects scarred and inflamed tissue. Staying off it when it's really painful is still a good idea.
Thanks Paradisi. I like to check before freaking out. I really appreciate it. At least I know it's not just me overeacting.

In my own experience, yes. I broke a bone in my foot many years ago, and I noticed it for quite awhile. My more recent injury (foot and ankle) still hurts quite a bit anyway so I can't tell you how long it might ache with barometric changes.

My chiropractor daughter says that most bone breaks result in arthritis in that area of the break, and that this also tends to flare up with barometric changes (in addition to the scarring and inflammation mentioned by Paradisi).

So sorry this is happening! Are they providing any physical therapy at all, even one session to teach you what to do at home?

My chiropractor daughter says that most bone breaks result in arthritis in that area of the break, and that this also tends to flare up with barometric changes (in addition to the scarring and inflammation mentioned by Paradisi).

So sorry this is happening! Are they providing any physical therapy at all, even one session to teach you what to do at home?
After my left leg, it doesn't surprise me. And nothing ever hurts as much as my left leg has and does. No physical therapy, mostly because I already know what to do due to my left leg. I never know when my left leg is going to hurt or why and it seems to have nothing at all to do with the weather. I was told to expect really terrible arthritis in that leg as I get older though. Hurt that leg in a car accident, not sure anyone remembers that. :)

But this one is new. And this one I remember clear as day where my brain clouded out most of the immediate aftermath of my left leg. And right now, this one still hurts. I'm having to be very careful how I sit and how I put my foot, etc. I've finally been given permission to drive and I can walk around a grocery store and the like. But I still have to be careful and haven't been given permission to go back to work. Not even to work on my own business at the moment so everything has been on hold since March 14. Starting to wonder how much my main market is going to be ok with this.

After my left leg, it doesn't surprise me. And nothing ever hurts as much as my left leg has and does. No physical therapy, mostly because I already know what to do due to my left leg. I never know when my left leg is going to hurt or why and it seems to have nothing at all to do with the weather. I was told to expect really terrible arthritis in that leg as I get older though. Hurt that leg in a car accident, not sure anyone remembers that. :)

But this one is new. And this one I remember clear as day where my brain clouded out most of the immediate aftermath of my left leg. And right now, this one still hurts. I'm having to be very careful how I sit and how I put my foot, etc. I've finally been given permission to drive and I can walk around a grocery store and the like. But I still have to be careful and haven't been given permission to go back to work. Not even to work on my own business at the moment so everything has been on hold since March 14. Starting to wonder how much my main market is going to be ok with this.
Man that is just rough. Hang in there!

Arthritis doesn’t form this soon after a fracture. You’re still healing from the fracture and changes in pressure actually can affect the nerves in your foot and cause them to become more sensitive causing pain. The drop in barometric pressure causes the fluid and soft tissue around joints to swell irritating nerves.

Last edited:
Arthritis doesn’t form this soon after a fracture. You’re still healing from the fracture and changes in pressure actually can affect the nerves in your foot and cause them to become to more sensitive causing pain. The drop in barometric pressure causes the fluid and soft tissue around joints to swell irritating nerves.
I didn't think so. Or I'd be in alot more pain in my left leg (broken into 5 pieces with a plate, rod and screws holding it together). Most of the time my left leg doesn't hurt, though sometimes it does hurt bad enough I need a cane.

Right now, I was just wondering about my ankle since I broke it on Mar 14. I didn't think about the barometric pressure causing things to swell which makes so much sense.

Luckily (sarcasm) my doctor told me that I do have the beginnings of arthritis in my feet so yay for me. I'm not surprised at all about that. My legs have taken a beating since I was a kid. I was a figure skater and I've had several sprains in both legs that aren't even from figuring skating (I once stepped off a curb wrong and ended up on crutches for a month). Hit by a car crossing the street. Now breaking an ankle by tripping over a piece of cement. Doctor even said I have a club toe on my second toe which I assume is from wearing those very tight figure skating boots for so many years as a kid.

Have to say, the pressure during the last two big thunderstorms we've had has caused my ankle to throb painfully. It's just life. I just wanted a quick answer since typing "broken bone pain during thunderstorm" into google brought up so many links that had nothing at all to do with what I was asking. Mostly just the phone numbers of orthopedists all over the country.

Arthritis runs in my family big time. When I was little, I thought my old relatives were crazy when they said they could predict the weather based on how their joints felt. Now I can do the same, except for my knees which were both replaced.

I didn't think so. Or I'd be in alot more pain in my left leg (broken into 5 pieces with a plate, rod and screws holding it together). Most of the time my left leg doesn't hurt, though sometimes it does hurt bad enough I need a cane.

Right now, I was just wondering about my ankle since I broke it on Mar 14. I didn't think about the barometric pressure causing things to swell which makes so much sense.

Luckily (sarcasm) my doctor told me that I do have the beginnings of arthritis in my feet so yay for me. I'm not surprised at all about that. My legs have taken a beating since I was a kid. I was a figure skater and I've had several sprains in both legs that aren't even from figuring skating (I once stepped off a curb wrong and ended up on crutches for a month). Hit by a car crossing the street. Now breaking an ankle by tripping over a piece of cement. Doctor even said I have a club toe on my second toe which I assume is from wearing those very tight figure skating boots for so many years as a kid.

Have to say, the pressure during the last two big thunderstorms we've had has caused my ankle to throb painfully. It's just life. I just wanted a quick answer since typing "broken bone pain during thunderstorm" into google brought up so many links that had nothing at all to do with what I was asking. Mostly just the phone numbers of orthopedists all over the country.
I wonder if CBD ointment might help with the pain. I am getting a new knee (revision and replacement) in the fall and my knee hurts so bad some days. I went to our local dispensary and they pointed me to some CBD ointment that uses Arctic Ice as its base. It works wonders! Of course, the relief is temporary but it is enough to make me feel like a normal human being again.

My patients are always shocked when I tell them they can develop arthritis in their feet.
That's like saying "you can't be allergic to pot" like I've been told. It's a plant. If you can be allergic to sunlight, you can be allergic to pot.

Your feet have bones. So yes, you can get arthritis in your feet lol. With the damage I've done to my legs and feet over the years, I'm so totally expecting it to be bad. I'm really lucky I'm not in alot more pain at this point in my life.
Arthritis runs in my family big time. When I was little, I thought my old relatives were crazy when they said they could predict the weather based on how their joints felt. Now I can do the same, except for my knees which were both replaced.
lol. Yeah, me too. I find myself saying things like that alot now. If my mum were here she'd be laughing at me.

I wonder if CBD ointment might help with the pain. I am getting a new knee (revision and replacement) in the fall and my knee hurts so bad some days. I went to our local dispensary and they pointed me to some CBD ointment that uses Arctic Ice as its base. It works wonders! Of course, the relief is temporary but it is enough to make me feel like a normal human being again.
It might help you but I don't dare. I have a severe allergy to something in the hemp family. Breathing marijuana makes my throat close, touching hemp makes my hands itch and go red. I have an epi pen just in case. Just glad I never smoked it myself or I'd probably be dead. I just don't want to take the chance since we don't know what exact chemical is causing the reaction.

I can feel changes in the weather in my replaced knee. Mostly cold or wet; less so with warm weather. Both my knees swell in hot weather. Swimming alleviates that, so I make sure to get in a pool regularly. Especially after a workout.

@MelissaG I'm so sorry you're going through this. If they offer physical therapy, I'd take it. They sometimes will do a little body work, and I like that they offer me new, or variations on, my current exercises. Also, I like the paper trail of what I'm doing and experiencing. I hope you heal and feel better.

I can fully understand what you're going though.
Your ankle is healing. Even though you've been given the ok to walk around. Did anyone especially your Dr, recommend to you how to protect and strengthen your ankle by doing basic mundane daily activities around your home?
Re train the nerves to the brain functionality?

I've used Kinsesiology Tape, and other brands of medical stretchy tape. Must say it did help.
Though everyone is different. Needs for it will vary.

All I can say it was used for needing it on a NOW! situation.
Glad I had it already at home. Bought it as a just in case thing.
Kids and pets. You never know what's going to happen. Life on the edge. Mom's ready. Bring it on! ;)

My advice is only a suggestion. I'd recommend before doing so that you talk with a P/T.
https://www.healthline.com/health/kinesiology-tape

Take a load off, Fanny.

Munky.

I can fully understand what you're going though.
Your ankle is healing. Even though you've been given the ok to walk around. Did anyone especially your Dr, recommend to you how to protect and strengthen your ankle by doing basic mundane daily activities around your home?
Re train the nerves to the brain functionality?

I've used Kinsesiology Tape, and other brands of medical stretchy tape. Must say it did help.
Though everyone is different. Needs for it will vary.

All I can say it was used for needing it on a NOW! situation.
Glad I had it already at home. Bought it as a just in case thing.
Kids and pets. You never know what's going to happen. Life on the edge. Mom's ready. Bring it on! ;)

My advice is only a suggestion. I'd recommend before doing so that you talk with a P/T.
https://www.healthline.com/health/kinesiology-tape

Take a load off, Fanny.

Munky.
The tape is very interesting. I'll take a closer look.

The doctor said it's ok to drive but to take it easy. It's a small bone broken off my ankle bone. Something about the way I twisted it when I put my foot down caused the tendon to snap a piece off the bottom of the bone. The doctor said it won't effect the way my ankle works or anything though I can definitely feel it. And my muscles are tightening up.

I don't really need a physiotherapist. I went through all that before with my left leg so I know what to do. But honestly, it's better to get up and move. He didn't say anything about doing stuff in my own home. Been debating on going to make some sugar scrubs to see how it goes and I'm out. Also been debating making some soap.

Latest posts

Back