Retrying Lotions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
Hi all! I made a lotion a while back and didn't really care for it and haven't made any since. Now I'm wanting to give it another go and have come up with a few recipes adapted from Smart Lotionmaking. What do you think?

Recipe #1:
Oil phase:
31 g jojoba oil
31 g sunflower oil
9 g mango or shea butter
25 g ewax
6 g vitamin e

Water phase:
340 g distilled water
7 g glycerin

Cool down phase:
5 g germaben or option
~6 g FO/EO

Recipe #2:
Oil phase:
6 g jojoba oil
37 g grapeseed oil
6 g coffee butter
11 g cetyl alcohol
23 g ewax
5 g vitamin e

Water phase:
350 g coffee from distilled water
10 g glycerin

Cool down phase:
5 g germaben or option
~6 g FO/EO

Thanks for the input dahlia. I hadn't made it to working out percentages yet. I just picked out recipes from the book and subbed my oils/butters. I was wondering what everyone thought of the combos

the 1st I would lower Jojoba, cause it is a bit occluding. you do not want to have blocked pores:)
the second one looks much better to me. Grapeseed oil is a nice light oil but it is short shelf life so do not make too much of it:)) Good luck:)

I'd also reduce the vitamin E to 0.1percent. Although it's an antioxidant, over 0.1 it increases the chance of rancidity. There's some interesting information www.makingskincare.com - right at the bottom of the page there's a lotion skincare tutorial and it goes through lots of information on percentages and more importantly why you use that amount. The head of the company is a cosmetic chemist. Swiftcraftymonkey is excellent too, as Dahila suggested.

When trying out new recipes I generally only make 100g. It's enough to work out the percentages but see if you like the recipe and check how it feels on your skin. Good luck.

the 1st I would lower Jojoba, cause it is a bit occluding. you do not want to have blocked pores:)
the second one looks much better to me. Grapeseed oil is a nice light oil but it is short shelf life so do not make too much of it:)) Good luck:)

Had no clue about the jojoba oil and completely forgot about grapeseeds
shelf life! Thank you

I'd also reduce the vitamin E to 0.1percent. Although it's an antioxidant, over 0.1 it increases the chance of rancidity. There's some interesting information www.makingskincare.com - right at the bottom of the page there's a lotion skincare tutorial and it goes through lots of information on percentages and more importantly why you use that amount. The head of the company is a cosmetic chemist. Swiftcraftymonkey is excellent too, as Dahila suggested.

When trying out new recipes I generally only make 100g. It's enough to work out the percentages but see if you like the recipe and check how it feels on your skin. Good luck.

I definitely plan to make a small batch. Last time I followed one of the recipes in the book exactly because I forgot about the water that needed to be added. I had almost 24 wt. ounces of lotion that I didn't even like! I think 100 g would be a great tester size

Most recipes say 1% of vitamin e. I'll have to check out that link tomorrow when I'm able to get on the computer. Sounds like it'll be an interesting source.

Thank you for the advice!

Back