Reason to wear gloves ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic1963

Reaction score
Lye under my thumbnail OOOOOOOOCH......and lingering OOOOOOOCH ! That don't go away with washing your hands...ouch again...

I just bought me a new pair of gloves last night....looked at them, and didnt put them on.

Can I say again.....OUCH....

You just learned the hard way about protective equipment.

Please keep rinsing for another 15 minutes, and for HEAVEN'S SAKE.....WEAR YOUR GLOVES!!!!

HAHAHA...... Yes.......I believe I should. Luck only last so long... mine ran out today...LOL.

Did I happen to say OUCH !

Yeah....it hurts like h-ll, and it will probably burn a little hole right where it was. Keep an eye on it and go see the doc if it doesn't settle down.

I've done that before myself. OUCH is the key word.

Yep that hurts like a #$@@&%. Always wear the 2 G's gloves and goggles .

Like Mike said keep an eye on it , it will burn a nice round hole in your skin if you didn't get it all washed away .

Kitn

I soaked it...still hurt..... I covered it in mustard...put a bandaid on it, and it has eased off some. Still hurts, but at least I am not feeling my heart beat in my thumbnail now. haha

I don't do gloves, but that's a story for another day.

I have, however, learned not to soap barefoot - those lye granules will eat a nice tunnel into your heel if you aren't careful. And I've seen pictures of a foot after hot was dumped onto it. Neither are pretty and both can be horrible.

I am so glad you all have posted your stories. We all know lye is dangerous, but we sometimes to get relaxed about how we handle it and reading through this had reminded me to be more careful and how just one little lye crystal on the floor could be so dangerous for children crawling around on the floor or a pet.

:D

Vic1963 said:
I soaked it...still hurt..... I covered it in mustard...put a bandaid on it, and it has eased off some. Still hurts, but at least I am not feeling my heart beat in my thumbnail now. haha

Glad your thumbnail is starting to calm down. Have never heard of covering a lye burn with mustard.
:?

Jude

heyjude said:
Vic1963 said:

Glad your thumbnail is starting to calm down. Have never heard of covering a lye burn with mustard.
:?

Jude

Someone said Mustard is good for regular burns...vinegar for lye burns, and mustard has vinegar in it. Anyway, I was desperate.....it made it stop throbbing. My thumb is really sore tho, like it has been mashed in a car door. lol.

One grain of lye...has changed my whole day... lol

I try to keep several pairs of gloves, safety glasses and long sleeve shirts around. That way I can't use the excuse that I couldn't find them :D

carebear said:
I don't do gloves, but that's a story for another day.

I have, however, learned not to soap barefoot - those lye granules will eat a nice tunnel into your heel if you aren't careful. And I've seen pictures of a foot after hot was dumped onto it. Neither are pretty and both can be horrible.

Yeah, i dumped hot liquid fudge over my feet. Not funny and not doing that again! LOL.

Is it bad i'm picky about shoes and goggles, but not so much about gloves still? Still, I'll take this as a warning and a lesson learned. ;-)

I hope you heal up soon.

ouch

I have gotten it into an open cut on my hand as I washed up my pots after I'm done.... so, I learned to keep those gloves on during clean up too.

I have had the tendency to be too relaxed with my lye and have had days of wearing no gloves or goggles....then one day I asked myself "Are you crazy?....No one EXPECTS an accident, that is why they happen!"

So..... I try to expect an accident and be ready for it. AND not be so relaxed with my lye.

Latest posts

Back