Feedback for first batch of cold process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
šŸ˜² I used to get perms twice a year from the time I was 13 until I was well into my 20's ~ I haven't smelled anything that bad while making soap yet . . . Yet! Thank goodness! That would be like a traumatic flashback! šŸ¤£
Is it supposed to happen with all milk soaps? Or maybe it's more likely with milk soap recipes that have certain other ingredients as well? Because come to think of it, when I made my oatmilk soap, I made my oatmilk with almond milk and soaked it in the fridge for several days, then blended the oats into the milk for more of a milky slurry, added a little more almond milk and froze it, then made my lye solution, then then made the soap, and that soap got real hot and did have a bit of an odor when I poured it into the mold, but I slid it into the fridge real quick. I never noticed any strong fumes in the fridge though and it didn't scorch so it ended well, thank goodness!
My first batch I used 100% goat milk and fragrance oil. It fumigated us. Gag! Second batch I mixed the lye with water, added a little milk to the oils and used essential oil instead of fragrance oil. That batch never had a bad smell. I wonder if the amount of milk made a difference, and/or if the fragrance oil reacted to the milk differently than the essential oil?

My first batch I used 100% goat milk and fragrance oil. It fumigated us. Gag! Second batch I mixed the lye with water, added a little milk to the oils and used essential oil instead of fragrance oil. That batch never had a bad smell. I wonder if the amount of milk made a difference, and/or if the fragrance oil reacted to the milk differently than the essential oil?
Science is crazy mystery for real! We may never know the answer but it will keep us entertained

@ackosel you mentioned doing an experiment with tallow, there are some great recipes on here for tallow soaps. Once you try tallow you may never want to use anything else. @AliOop has shared her recipe which is wonderful. If you search for tallow and put alioop in the member field you should find it pretty quick. Itā€™s a lovely recipe that moves slowly. You may be surprised at how long it takes to trace. Lard and tallow soaps are amazing.
Your first batch looks great.

@ackosel you mentioned doing an experiment with tallow, there are some great recipes on here for tallow soaps. Once you try tallow you may never want to use anything else. @AliOop has shared her recipe which is wonderful. If you search for tallow and put alioop in the member field you should find it pretty quick. Itā€™s a lovely recipe that moves slowly. You may be surprised at how long it takes to trace. Lard and tallow soaps are amazing.
Your first batch looks great.
Thank you! All you folks are so nice to help me with your advice! You are a very helpful bunch. I did try a tallow recipe and you're right, I love the soap it made!

Thank you, Tammyfarms, for the instructions on how to find AliOop's recipe, and thank you, AliOop, for sharing it!

You have nice looking soap! I have no experience with milks and I purposely gel. I'm popping in about the blending. When I first started, I would turn on my stick blender and just leave it on. I quickly would get to mud trace and did a lot of ploppin' and gloppin'. Now I use my stick blender mostly as a spoon, stirring, with just a few bursts of 3 seconds each. The YouTube videos always speed up that part and it looks like the blenders are just on the whole time.
And please, ask away! I asked sooo many questions here -- and still do -- and people here just jump in to help ya!

Thank you! All you folks are so nice to help me with your advice! You are a very helpful bunch. I did try a tallow recipe and you're right, I love the soap it made!

Thank you, Tammyfarms, for the instructions on how to find AliOop's recipe, and thank you, AliOop, for sharing it!
I am just trying to give back a little. This group has helped me so much and continues to do so. The more I learn, the more I realize I have so much more to learn.

You have nice looking soap! I have no experience with milks and I purposely gel. I'm popping in about the blending. When I first started, I would turn on my stick blender and just leave it on. I quickly would get to mud trace and did a lot of ploppin' and gloppin'. Now I use my stick blender mostly as a spoon, stirring, with just a few bursts of 3 seconds each. The YouTube videos always speed up that part and it looks like the blenders are just on the whole time.
And please, ask away! I asked sooo many questions here -- and still do -- and people here just jump in to help ya!
Thank you. Yes, I think the sped-up videos haven't helped my impulsive stick blending.šŸ˜€ I think what I learned here is that I need to do more batches and make them smaller, stick stir instead of stick blend and go ahead and let my oils stay warmer. It would have taken me so much time to figure these things out for myself. This group has saved me from going broke on botched soap!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back