Question re: using corn oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzhik

Reaction score
Greetings! I'm looking around the kitchen trying to see what kind of soap I can make with oils I have laying about the house. I wonder if anyone has any experience using corn oil in their soap. The stuff I've read in other forums gives me the impression it's rather "blah" in soap, yet when I was tossing some numbers into a soap calculator, adding a few ounces of corn oil made the "conditioning" meter almost go off scale.

Does anyone else make soap using corn oil?

I haven't used corn oil but I'd say if you got it, soap it! :lol:

I think the reasoning behind it is that other oils have more nutrients for the skin than corn. But I may be wrong. I'm not an expert. Although since it's such a soft oil, I don't think you'd want to use too high of a percentage. I did read somewhere that it can accelerate trace.

I didn't know it was prone to DOS.

Would it be that bad to use if Muzhik just wants to make a small batch to practice?

edited to fix typo

I use corn oil in just about all my recipes. I absolutely love the feel of the soap and I always use along with castor and other oils so the lather is very nice to say the least. DOS? Only when I tried to make a 100% batch out of curiousity; otherwise, as long as I balance it with other oils, DOS has not been an issue for me. :D

SoapPoopette 8)

SoapPoopette said:
I use corn oil in just about all my recipes...as long as I balance it with other oils, DOS has not been an issue for me. :D

SoapPoopette 8)

What percentage do you use?

evergreen said:
SoapPoopette said:
I use corn oil in just about all my recipes...as long as I balance it with other oils, DOS has not been an issue for me. :D

SoapPoopette 8)

What percentage do you use?

I use 10-20% at the most. Other oils I combine it with are olive, palm, shea butter, castor, pko, and even lard. 8)

SoapPoopette said:
I use 10-20% at the most. Other oils I combine it with are olive, palm, shea butter, castor, pko, and even lard. 8)

Thanks! You've given me an idea for a new soap that I'll have to try out as soon as I can get the ingredients together!

Latest posts

Back