question about baking your cold process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimnkell

Reaction score
Okay, I've been making my cold process soap and baking it a few hours and letting it set in the oven overnight to cure and it's ready to use the next day. I made some honeysuckle soap and I baked it as usual and it's still got zap.. I baked it again for a few hours and let it sit all night a second time and it's still got zap. What did I do wrong? I followed the recipe with the lye calculator... Here's the recipe I used... 4 ounces castor oil, 8 ounces coconut oil, 4 ounces olive oil, 8 ounces palm oil, 16 ounces of lard, 14 ounces of water, and 5.5 ounces of lye. Also, can you still bake it after you have cut it? I didn't test it before I cut it the first time and then I tested it after I cut it and it had zap... Can someone please help me??

DSC00897.JPG

It's so pretty I'd just let it cure like regular CP soap. It won't have zap after a week or two....

Loolee said:
It's so pretty I'd just let it cure like regular CP soap. It won't have zap after a week or two....

Thank You! I know I could just wait but I get excited...lol... and I was just wondering if there might have been some reason that the zap didn't leave this batch like my other batches have been doing...

Very pretty soap! :) I would just leave it to cure like loolee recommended. It's not very unusual for soap to zap when it's fresh from the mold, so I wouldn't worry about it at this point. If you find that it is still zapping after a week and a half or so, it may more than likely be a genuine case of lye-heaviness (or maybe it's the FO- some of them can mimic zap). My personal advice would be to test again in a week or so and let us know how it goes!

IrishLass :)

:D Very pretty! I have that mold too. What brand is your fragrence? I love the smell of honeysuckle. Did it excel trace?

dryalligator said:
:D Very pretty! I have that mold too. What brand is your fragrence? I love the smell of honeysuckle. Did it excel trace?

Thank You! The Fragrance brand is from Nature's Garden. It does smell good. Yes, it traced very quickly. Would the quicker trace have anything to do with the zap not leaving after baking it?

Back