Zany's Castile soap first try

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnScented Arizona

Reaction score
So I succumbed to all the peer pressure and made some yesterday! Wasn't much different from my other recipes except I had to blend it longer. Came out nice and hard after about 18 hours. More yellow than the photo shows. Seems it's called 'Bastile' soap on here. Not sure if I did the faux sea water correctly tho.
All grams
280 water
140 lye
850 Olive oil
100 coconut oil
50 castor oil
5.31 salt
4.75 baking soda

Put these percentages in soap friend to get grams of salt/soda:
1.9% of the sea water
1.7% of the sea water

116438ac-f76a-445e-afd8-aa9db831211e.jpeg

Those plastic coatings are easily degraded by the high alkalinity of soap, especially fresh soap. That, plus normal usage (e.g., washing in warm water, using a scrubby sponge, using dishwashing soap, or high temps in a dishwasher) will quickly degrade that coating and expose the soap to the metal underneath, which creates a risk of DOS.

Parchment paper makes a nice barrier between the soap and those racks. For a washable/reusable option, shelf liner is a nice option, too. :)

Those plastic coatings are easily degraded by the high alkalinity of soap, especially fresh soap. That, plus normal usage (e.g., washing in warm water, using a scrubby sponge, using dishwashing soap, or high temps in a dishwasher) will quickly degrade that coating and expose the soap to the metal underneath, which creates a risk of DOS.

Parchment paper makes a nice barrier between the soap and those racks. For a washable/reusable option, shelf liner is a nice option, too. :)
ah. I did not know that. Thanx.

thanx. yes faux seawater. I guess it mimics real sea water. Just followed the recipe. Seem to be getting more white as they age.
I started to reply to your first post with, "Wait for it . . . "! But then I saw this one and realized you're noticing the change 😉

Yes. I think it is Oneida.
Rack is plastic coated.
I have a few pieces of the Oneida too! 😂

Latest posts

Back