Purple

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraf

Reaction score
Can you make the colour purple using any fruit or veg? I make all natural soap and prefer using them...I was thinking maybe purple carrots?

I've used alkanet and it works just fine - but I would be really interested to see what purple carrots do, since orange carrots provide such a lovely orange.

The purple carrots are a fun idea! Also maybe purple potatoes? I don't know if they would work, since beet root powder turns brown. Australian sandalwood powder is purplish-red, but kind of scratchy. Brambleberry has some very light purple Brazillian clay.

Okay... Tried it,Don't try to use purple carrots for purple colour it went a horrible brownie green...back to drawing board!

The purple carrots are a fun idea! Also maybe purple potatoes? I don't know if they would work, since beet root powder turns brown. Australian sandalwood powder is purplish-red, but kind of scratchy. Brambleberry has some very light purple Brazillian clay.

I remembered that one of the other posters (Obsidian I think) made a soap using potatoes. While it is different from this thread's topic, I just want to throw that out there.

I heard that alkanet root made a lovely purple, but do be careful as it may be tricky to use.

I for one, cannot get purple with alkanet, and I would very much expect purple potatoes to go an ugly gray. In order to keep them purple even when cooking some acid needs to be used to keep them pretty. Ultramarines work great for purples

I also was trying to look up different ways of getting the color purple for a special request soap. I've only used a few clays but not the purple Brazilian clay. Is that a nice one to use for a light purple color? I also seen alkanet and wondered if you can achieve a light purple using it? Someone mentioned it can be tricky to use... how and why?

What about beets, cabbage, cauiflower, radish, onion, blueberries, anyone try any of these?

Ive got a very nice purple with alkanet root. A 17oz batch I used 5TBSP of infused oil. It was a dark purple. I just made a big batch and didn't add enough. Its more grey/blue. Just add a lot and it will get purple.

This is the purple I got using alkanet infused olive oil (2 oz taken from my OO alkanet infusion in 25 oz total oils), and 1 tsp of indigo mixed in water before the lye. Excuse the bubbles, my clay burped or something :p

Purple lavender clay soap.JPG

Do you infuse your oil then just use it like that? Ive been infusing a little bit extra, then adding it to colour my soap. Im not sure if people infuse all there oil that there going to use or just a few ounces.

Latest posts

Back