Pumpkin color question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamarajane

Reaction score
I know I saw this somewhere, but I can't seem to find it this am. What do yall use to color your pumpkin soap? Someone (I think it was kitn) said they used squash (? am I right?) baby food to get a nice orange type color. Help!! :oops:

You can use carrot baby food, but why not use pumpkin? I have made and will be making pumpkin soap today using pumpkin for color. I like the idea of saying it is pumpkin soap with real pumpkin!

You can either add a bit at trace (which I have not done) or substitute the pumpkin for some or all of your liquid and mix the lye with it. I did it that way, and it was pretty. Since I use GM, I actually dissolved the lye in pumpkin as half of my liquid and then add the GM (or other liquid) after it was dissolved. Very pretty color.

Good luck!

I used real pumpkin too. The resulting colour was more like warm yellow- like butternut squash rather than an orange pumpkin, but it looked the colour of pumpkin pie which was what I wanted!

I think dried carrot powder might help it become more orange.

I have used red palm oil (from local Indian grocer) and it made a nice orange soap. Pumpkin is just a little more muted IMHO.

I've used pumpkin in two different batches. The first batch I used Libbys canned pumpkin and the color was orange but I used an organic pumpkin this year and the color was more yellow like squash. I would go for the darker Libbys color if you use pumpkin.

I have used carrot baby food and my soap was a nice orange color. I discounted my water a little and added some of the carrot baby food at trace. I used heavy whipping cream, almond oil and no scent. It was a nice soap.

Fairydittle said:
I have used carrot baby food and my soap was a nice orange color. I discounted my water a little and added some of the carrot baby food at trace. I used heavy whipping cream, almond oil and no scent. It was a nice soap.

Oooh, sounds so good. Any left to take pics of? I just love the sound of heavy cream in soap.

Latest posts

Back