Pomagrant skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lye-h20-oil

Reaction score
I have recently rediscovered the pomegranate. It has been over 30 years since I have attempted to eat one. I found an article on the health benifits and then of course I had to look on youtube for a video on how to open the pomegranate like a pro. I had no idea we are supposed to eat the entire seed! After doing more research I found out that the pomegranate skin can be dried then ground into a powder for tea, then of course I concidered the skin a possible soap and skin care additive. I would love to know your thoughts and experience with this ancient fruit.

Based on the last time I had a pomegranate, I’d imagine the skin is too tough for an exfoliant. Drying it out might just make it feel like sandpaper on your skin. You could look into an infusion but I don’t know what would survive the lye. Maybe a balm or a lotion could give you the benefits

Based on the last time I had a pomegranate, I’d imagine the skin is too tough for an exfoliant. Drying it out might just make it feel like sandpaper on your skin. You could look into an infusion but I don’t know what would survive the lye. Maybe a balm or a lotion could give you the benefits
Good point. I'm definitely not into sandpaper for skin care. Maybe a mask would work.

Considering the skin oxidizes to a dark brown when cut, I think it would make a really ugly soap. I would blend the fresh skin with a little juice into a nice paste, you can add more things like yogurt or aloe to thin it down if needed and apply it as a mask for 15 minutes.
One of my favorite masks in plain yogurt with a little honey added. If you don't have really pale skin, some tumeric is nice too but it can stain light skin yellow, learned that the hard way. Yogurt softens and plumps the skin while honey acts as a humectent.

Considering the skin oxidizes to a dark brown when cut, I think it would make a really ugly soap. I would blend the fresh skin with a little juice into a nice paste, you can add more things like yogurt or aloe to thin it down if needed and apply it as a mask for 15 minutes.
One of my favorite masks in plain yogurt with a little honey added. If you don't have really pale skin, some tumeric is nice too but it can stain light skin yellow, learned that the hard way. Yogurt softens and plumps the skin while honey acts as a humectent.
Yes! I wanted to try yoghurt as a face mask. I like your idea of using the fresh skin. Do you think freezing the Pomagrant skin would work so it can be used semi fresh/ not dried for off season months or do you think using seasonal fruit as it's available fresh would be a better option?

Using fresh is always better but freezing would probably be ok too. Too bad you couldn't grind the skin to a fine powder for storage, that would be ideal.

If you don't have any yogurt, any cow milk/cream will work, its the lactic acid that is so good for skin. You could mix milk with a little rice flour or corn starch to thicken it if needed.

Using fresh is always better but freezing would probably be ok too. Too bad you couldn't grind the skin to a fine powder for storage, that would be ideal.

If you don't have any yogurt, any cow milk/cream will work, its the lactic acid that is so good for skin. You could mix milk with a little rice flour or corn starch to thicken it if needed.
Drying the skin is an option. The videos I watched say to dry it in the sun. Unfortunately the sun has been hiding behind clouds and rain, today the wind started howling! Would a low setting on my toaster oven work....maybe for a few hours? I could make puree ice cubes as a other option.

I think I would go with the puree ice cubes. I'm afraid it would be really difficult to get the dried skin ground to a fine enough powder. The skin dries really hard but you could always try, see what happens. The toaster oven should work or you can just leave the skins out in a warm area.

Ok the next pomagrant I open will have the skin pureed with distilled water and put in ice cube trays for the big freeze test. I'll pick up yoghurt and honey next week on my grocery day.

My mom's favorite fruit when she was growing up and on into her adulthood was the pomegranate. The skins do dry to a very hard exterior if left to dry ad infinitum. I would not use dried pomegranate in soap because I know my skin would not tolerate the extreme sharpness. I wouldn't even use it if ground up by any processor I own because none I own are capable of grinding anything to a fine enough powder to not be scratchy when rubbed on my skin.

I would, however, be willing to try pomegranate peel powder purchased from a vendor in the hope that they used a heavy duty grinder capable of pulverization that my kitchen appliances simply cannot achieve. But I have not actually seen the pomegranate powder up close and personal, so cannot be sure it would meet my expectations. It is something that can be purchased, though, and that's the route I would prefer if it were for soap I was going to make for my own personal use. (Here is one of many sources.)

Back