Oils to use for a white soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welsh black

Reaction score
Other than using TD to make a white soap, what oils would you guys use to achieve a nice white bar. I'm thinking not to gell as well?

I found the following list of lighter colored oils on the net:
Refined Olive Oil (Not EVOO)
Castor Oil
Camilla Oil
Coconut Oil
Jojoba Oil
Refined Hemp Oil
Babassu Oil
Macadamia Nut Oil
Personally, I use a recipe composed of Coconut Oil, Lard, and Refined Olive Oil. It makes a nice white bar.

Thanks for that. Being from UK - not sure if I know what refined olive oil is ? Not the same as pomace olive oil - which is what I use.? I know of virgin and second press. Does it come anywhere near these.?

Tallow and lard make the whitest bars I've ever made. Palm oil bars are very white as well. A combination of tallow/coconut/palm oil would make a white bar.

You can use regular olive oil as well. I've made castille with it and the soap is a nice creamy white.

Coconut milk will also contribute to a whiter bar. I have also found palm oil and palm kernel oil to contribute to a whiter bar.

if the oil is light in color it helps make a white bar
Coconut, shea, castor, sunflower, Olive oil (not EVOO), Lard and other animal fats, etc.
so no hemp, EVOO, nut butters, etc

Ryan,
My current recipe uses 50% lard, 30% refined olive oil, and 20% coconut oil. I make small batches, usually 2 lb, sometimes 4 lb. Or if I just have a sample of FO, a one lb. batch.

I use lard, Co and safflower. I always have a white bar unless my FO has a discolor factor in it. My base recipe now is 40 Co 30 lard and 30 safflower with coconut milk as most of the water. If you can change %s on lard and CO to 40 lard and 30 CO. My first was 50% lard ,30% CO and 20% soy. But I did not like the soy very much it gave me DOS. I then changed it to almond oil which was great but expensive to get. Safflower I use now is HO so it last longr and does not get DOS. OO will tint soap some depending on grade so it will be off white to slight green tint. OO here is now costly.

Aunt Polly and nebetmiw thanks for the break downs. I heard lard was moisturizing and wanted to give it a try.:smile:

Latest posts

Back