Oils are causing yellow soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casudzer

Reaction score
I am using all organic oils. My favorite recipe is with olive, palm, castor and coconut oils. However, because of the natural colors of the oils, i.e., green, pale yellow and white for the coconut, my soaps are turning out a very pretty light butter yellow. This is a problem when I add color swirls because the yellow soap base interferes with the final color, as they look dull against the yellow. I used a palm oil from Spectrum Organics that was solid white and that really helped in one of my first batches, but it was not cost effective to use that brand and I ordered my palm oil from Soaper's Resource (Columbus Foods) but it is not white. Is anyone else having this problem and if so, what's the solution. I do not want to add synthetic whiteners to my base. Thank you.

I recently made a batch using castor, coconut, lard, Walmart's great value animal shortening, ho sunflower oil, and soybean oil. The soap came out really white.

Try using really light oils. Try out light olive oil and ho sunflower oil. Buy hydrogenated palm shortening, it tends to be lighter in color.

Maybe use colors that will work well with the yellow? Perhaps green? Or maybe mix colors to make other colors (yellow plus blue is green; red plus yellow is orange).

You could use Titaniam Dioxide - sure, what we buy is often manufactured, but it is a manufactured form of a natural substance. I don't know what you are using to colour, but a lot of things like micas are manufactured versions of natural substances...............

My Castile made with EVOO starts off sort of a yellow-green but after cure it's very white. Not sure if this is true of blended oil soaps with EVOO. The culprit usually here is palm. My palm is a medium yellow out of the pail. If I want true colours, I have to use a palm-free recipe.

Thanks for your input. I am sure the EVOO is the culprit but I have to do some checking because I don't think I can find organic olive oil that isn't green. Oh well. I am willing to deal with the yellow if that's what I have to do to keep it organic.

Latest posts

Back