Offered recipes and assistance and got attitude?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I want to avoid this turning in to a "Is M&P making soap" thread (spoiler - it is NOT making soap) I think one of the potential issues with people like this who is that they might well be telling customers that their soap contains no lye, as lye is dangerous and can burn and dry your skin and so on. This then can make some customers wary of trying hand made soap for no good reason at all.

Acting all "MYOB" is potentially what the OP was doing - if potential CP and HP customers are being scared in to not buying, then she is indeed minding her business by talking to an M&P seller about lye in an effort to avoid this.

The whole things seems odly familiar to me. I have been having a similar debate with my dad about the differnt kinds of yeast you can use to make home brew. He likes the comercial yeast with chemical nutriants to make a quicker and a higher volume of brew. Me I like the plain bakers yeast and natural nutrient, such as fruits and or vegetables.

We both make out home brew exactly the same and use the exact same still to brew it from. side by side mine AlWAYS comes out beter and gets more thumbs up. All cause I stay away from the chemicals.

I have been trying to get him to at least see things from my side of the brew but dad is stuck in his ways and refuses to try new things. Hes convinced that the way he does things gets him "good" reviews (untill someone tries mine hehehehe) that that is all he ever needs to do.

TLDR
Some people are stck in thier ways and are not open to new ideas/ways of trying things

:D

While I want to avoid this turning in to a "Is M&P making soap" thread (spoiler - it is NOT making soap) I think one of the potential issues with people like this who is that they might well be telling customers that their soap contains no lye, as lye is dangerous and can burn and dry your skin and so on. This then can make some customers wary of trying hand made soap for no good reason at all.

Acting all "MYOB" is potentially what the OP was doing - if potential CP and HP customers are being scared in to not buying, then she is indeed minding her business by talking to an M&P seller about lye in an effort to avoid this.

With all due respect, my issue with this has nothing to do with the content of the conversation, but rather with the time and place of it. I think that there could have been a much better opportunity (maybe at the end of the event when the seller was packing up to leave, and NO customers able to overhear) to make the offer and have the conversation.

If I were selling stuff at any event, and someone came to my table telling me that I am not "making" something when I put a lot of effort into it, I might get a bit miffed also. Just put yourself into her shoes for a minute.

Also, since none of us, with the exception of the OP, were present to hear what was said on either side, it does no good to speculate on what someone was saying. And we all know that hearing one side of a story is not exactly getting the full picture.

Last edited:
I agree on the speculation. As the OP said that she was passingly aquainted with the seller and from my, albeit limited, experience of the OP, I would think it was done during a quiet period rather than in front of awaiting customers - but if your issue is with the time and place with out knowing all of the details, it is also speculation. We do not know if it was "maybe at the end of the event when the seller was packing up to leave, and NO customers able to overhear", but I would give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Let's all bear in mind that there are often posts from people who produce M&P products who then look to get in the CP or HP and are looking for help to do so. Having someone that you are on fairly good terms with who has experience and can talk you through it would be a Godsend. So it was not an unreasonable question to ask the seller at all.

Putting myself in the seller's shoes, let's look at some information from the OP:

" if you ever want to make it from the very beginning with the oils and lye etc" (original post) is not being told you are not making soap. It is opening up the possibility to make soap from end to end, no worries about what is in the base that you buy. A positive, not a negative. In fact: " and I certainly didn't tell her that she wasn't making soap" (post on page 2) so I am finding less and less here for the seller to get upset about. It doesn't seem like an attack and "you're not making soap!" scenario, rather an overture to a primer on CP soaping to which the response was a tad OTT.

I do think you were inadvertantly rude. I'm sure your POV was that, "Hey, we have this interest in common," but I can very easily see her POV being that you were trying to insult her and make her look bad in public.

I think most people would not react well if somebody came up to them when they were selling and started this type of conversation with them.

Latest posts

Back