Oatbran and poppy seeds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonkaz

Reaction score
Hi ... this weekend I'm planning to try a soap with both oatbran and poppy seeds in it. A gardening/cleaning type soap ... probably with orange and patchouli eo's.

I've been researching when to add the oatbran and the poppy seeds ... and have read a variety of things.

I was thinking I'd remove some of the soap into two 'cup' containers at light trace and stir the bran into one and the poppy seeds into the other. Then add the container with bran into the main mix, stick blend a couple of times, then add the poppy seeds, blend a few times ... and finally add the eo's.

Any advice would be appreciated ... reasons why I should or shouldn't do it like this?

Hi Dragonkaz, here is my method for adding EO's, seeds and leaves to my soap batch.

• I use a stick blender (SB) and mix my soap to trace.

• I'll add my EO's and mix them well into the batch with my spatula.
(The trace thins out a little after I add my EO's so I will use the SB and mix to a nice trace again.)

• Once I'm happy with my trace I'll add poppy seeds and/or peppermint leaves. (I don't add the seed to a separate cup of soap. I add them dry into the soap batch.)

• I will add a little then hand mix with my spatula, add a little more then mix again.

• Once all the seeds and leaves have been added I pour the batch into the mold.

I use this method whether I'm adding oatmeal, lavender buds or any other variety of seeds or leaves. This method seems to work well for me. :D

I do basically the same thing as HenleyNatural mentioned, the only time I pull out soap to mix is with coloring.

For poppy seeds, I just sprinkle them in at medium trace and stir with the stick blender turned off. I used a lot less than I thought I would, maybe 1/2 T PPO? My family and friends love this soap.

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom!

HenleyNatural ... your idea of not having to use the separate cups sounds a lot easier than what I thought I would do ... and I always prefer easier. Thanks so much for setting it out so clearly for me.

As a newbie to this wonderful world of soap making, these types of personal experiences are like gold!

Great looking soap pictures! I like how the poppy seeds are evenly distributed through out the bar.

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement!

I now have four batches waiting to be tryed ... this is so hard ... waiting ... waiting ... waiting!

This orange poppyseed is the one I'm dying to try ... but six weeks feels like forever away.

I going to Sydney to be with my kids for christmas and may need to take a quick trip home to New Zealand to see my folks ... but as soon as I get back I'll be back into making more soap.

I keep changing the recipe and I hope that I find one I love when I finally get round to trialing these soaps!

PS ... the smell of sweet orange and patchouli eo is divine!

Wow that turned out terrific!! U should feel proud of that lot.
U know u can sneek a bar early as long as it doesn't zap u :wink: :wink:

Latest posts

Back