Newbie question about cleaning your tools

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELL3

Reaction score
Hi y’all! I’m new. Here and to soapmaking. 😅. I’ve seen so much amazing info in my two days on this forum, so first want to say thanks for all your experience and great knowledge you share. You make a daunting project seem less so. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I just didn’t find any threads on it:

I am trying to keep things as natural as possible, including my cleaning agents. However, I also don’t want any gnarly things growing because I didn’t use the right cleaning/sterilizing agent. What do you use to clean your bowls, tools, even the old cardboard cartons/pringles cans to use as a mold? Great ideas btw, I love the repurposing!

Thanks in advance for any advice! ~ E

For cartons and pringles, idk. A lot of people leave their used dishes in the sink for a day or two to allow everything to harden and then use hot water for rinsing out the soap. I just use hot water and dish soap.

A lot of people leave their used dishes in the sink for a day or two to allow everything to harden
I'm one of those people -- but the word is "saponify" not "harden". And I don't leave them in the sink. I stack everything as much as possible and just move them out of the way -- to another kitchen counter or to the laundry room until they're ready to wash up. Since the FAs in the batch are now soap, it's SO easy to put on my gloves, run some water on them to get a good lather going, then wash & (cold water) rinse and stick them in the dishwasher for the next time I run it.

I also don’t want any gnarly things growing because I didn’t use the right cleaning/sterilizing agent.
No worries. Soap and water and rinse is all you need. Dawn is preferred because it is so very grease cutting.

What do you use to clean your bowls, tools, even the old cardboard cartons/pringles cans to use as a mold?
I buy 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. I take the lid off and add a sprayer to the 32 oz. size bottle and keep it handy on a pantry shelf for those times when it's needed.

As for a cardboard box or pringles can, you can just line them with a plastic bag or freezer paper but not wax paper cuz it doesn't work so well. You're actually better off repurposing any plastic conainers you have on hand. KFC used to sell sides in a 5 oz round container with lid. I have a bunch of those. Perfect for soap.

Here's a guide with tips and techniques for beginners:
https://lovinsoap.com/cold-process-soap-making-guide/
ADVICE TO BEGINNERS

This is a fun read for when you have a little time on your hands:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ou-give-to-your-beginning-soaping-self.62916/
Good ideas for repurposing stuff in this thread. Also fun to read.
GROCERY STORE SOAP

For cartons and pringles, idk. A lot of people leave their used dishes in the sink for a day or two to allow everything to harden and then use hot water for rinsing out the soap. I just use hot water and dish soap.
I do this, only I have a specific plastic tub where I store them out of the way until I'm ready to wash them.

The one exception is my stick blender. Many people don't know that finished soap is a trace accelerant. That means if you leave even a few spots of finished soap on your stick-blender, your next batch is going to accelerate quickly! Since it can be difficult to get hardened soap out of all the crevices inside the SB bell, I clean my SB immediately after each batch.

To clean my SB, I run it for a few minutes in a small container of hot water with a few drops of dish soap in it. That removes all the greasy soap batter before it can harden and stick to the inside of the bell. Then I rinse it and let it air-dry, and it's ready to go for the next thing. :)

I do this, only I have a specific plastic tub where I store them out of the way until I'm ready to wash them.

The one exception is my stick blender. Many people don't know that finished soap is a trace accelerant. That means if you leave even a few spots of finished soap on your stick-blender, your next batch is going to accelerate quickly! Since it can be difficult to get hardened soap out of all the crevices inside the SB bell, I clean my SB immediately after each batch.

To clean my SB, I run it for a few minutes in a small container of hot water with a few drops of dish soap in it. That removes all the greasy soap batter before it can harden and stick to the inside of the bell. Then I rinse it and let it air-dry, and it's ready to go for the next thing. :)
I can’t tell you how much I appreciate that tip about cleaning the stick blender! ❤️

I'm one of those people -- but the word is "saponify" not "harden". And I don't leave them in the sink. I stack everything as much as possible and just move them out of the way -- to another kitchen counter or to the laundry room until they're ready to wash up. Since the FAs in the batch are now soap, it's SO easy to put on my gloves, run some water on them to get a good lather going, then wash & (cold water) rinse and stick them in the dishwasher for the next time I run it.

No worries. Soap and water and rinse is all you need. Dawn is preferred because it is so very grease cutting.

I buy 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. I take the lid off and add a sprayer to the 32 oz. size bottle and keep it handy on a pantry shelf for those times when it's needed.

As for a cardboard box or pringles can, you can just line them with a plastic bag or freezer paper but not wax paper cuz it doesn't work so well. You're actually better off repurposing any plastic conainers you have on hand. KFC used to sell sides in a 5 oz round container with lid. I have a bunch of those. Perfect for soap.

ADVICE TO BEGINNERS

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ou-give-to-your-beginning-soaping-self.62916/
GROCERY STORE SOAP
So many clever suggestions here and all over this site, I really appreciate it. I never would have thought of reusing the kinds of containers everyone is suggesting (can’t claim the pringles one either but hey maybe it gives me an excuse to buy some lol

ADVICE TO BEGINNERS

GROCERY STORE SOAP
hopefully my reply doesn’t show up twice, I keep accidentally clicking out if the box. Love the alcohol sprayer idea! I am so grateful for your and everyone’s advice, thank you! So many clever tips on reusing containers as molds I never would have thought of (can’t claim the pringles or cardboard containers, but maybe it gives me the excuse to keep some in my pantry 😋).

Hi y’all! I’m new. Here and to soapmaking. 😅. I’ve seen so much amazing info in my two days on this forum, so first want to say thanks for all your experience and great knowledge you share. You make a daunting project seem less so. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I just didn’t find any threads on it:

I am trying to keep things as natural as possible, including my cleaning agents. However, I also don’t want any gnarly things growing because I didn’t use the right cleaning/sterilizing agent. What do you use to clean your bowls, tools, even the old cardboard cartons/pringles cans to use as a mold? Great ideas btw, I love the repurposing!

Thanks in advance for any advice! ~ E
Welcome to the forum. I don't clean cartons/cans used as molds, if any soap batter spills on it I just wipe it off immediately. Containers used for mixing and measuring the lye solution and lye, I rinse them as soon as they are used and later wash them like usual with soap and water. As for the stick blender, blend hot water with it to remove the raw soap batter from it and dry it with a tissue then finally blend hot, soapy water to remove any residual soap batter. You can leave the other utensils used for about 2 to 3 days to allow the soap batter on it's surface to saponify and you can wash it with just water then.

I like to clean up right away, so with my gloves still on, I wipe everything down with a microfiber cloth before I wash my soapy dishes with blue Dawn. I just leave the one cloth in the laundry room for a few days and wash it with my towels.
I have no choice because I have no place to let the mess sit for a day or 2 while the residue saponifies ~ it just takes forever to get the fresh mess clean, even with Dawn, it takes 2 lather, rinse, repeats to get squeaky clean 😆

I have no choice because I have no place to let the mess sit for a day or 2 while the residue saponifies ~ it just takes forever to get the fresh mess clean, even with Dawn, it takes 2 lather, rinse, repeats to get squeaky clean 😆
That's where pre-wiping with microfiber cloths can be a game-changer. ;)

Last edited:
That's where pre-wiping with micro-fiber cloths can be a game-changer. ;)
You know ~ I've never been a fan of micro-fiber cloths ~ it's a tactile/textile thing, I don't care for how they actually feel in my hands (you don't have to say it, I already know ~ I'm weird). I do have a pair of those funky towels because my hubby wanted them when he saw them at the Dollar Tree because they were navy blue, his favorite color, but then he didn't like the feel of them either 🙄😆 silly man! So, since then, those 2 towels have been relegated to dish draining duty ~ maybe I will have to resurrect one and give it a go 😁

You know ~ I've never been a fan of micro-fiber cloths ~ it's a tactile/textile thing, I don't care for how they actually feel in my hands (you don't have to say it, I already know ~ I'm weird). I do have a pair of those funky towels because my hubby wanted them when he saw them at the Dollar Tree because they were navy blue, his favorite color, but then he didn't like the feel of them either 🙄😆 silly man! So, since then, those 2 towels have been relegated to dish draining duty ~ maybe I will have to resurrect one and give it a go 😁
I'm with you! I can't stand micro-fiber clothes. They feel strange to me as well. They don't seem to absorb water either, maybe it's just me but I have to have 100% cotton.

I'm with you! I can't stand micro-fiber clothes. They feel strange to me as well. They don't seem to absorb water either, maybe it's just me but I have to have 100% cotton.
I used to love 100% cotton, but it seems like all of them now have some kind of water-repellent coating. In fact, I can't find an absorbent dish towel to save my life! Even the 100% cotton flour sack types just push the water around for the most part.

Most microfiber cloths are no better for picking up water, IMO, but they seem to do a great job wiping greasy soap batter or lotion off my implements. I usually still have my soaping gloves on when I'm using them, so maybe that's why I don't notice the feel?

I was gonna say that too about not absorbing but then I thought, well they seem to work for some people so maybe I'm just not holding them right or something 🤷🏼‍♀️🤣🤣🤣

I used to love 100% cotton, but it seems like all of them now have some kind of water-repellent coating. In fact, I can't find an absorbent dish towel to save my life! Even the 100% cotton flour sack types just push the water around for the most part.

Most microfiber cloths are no better for picking up water, IMO, but they seem to do a great job wiping greasy soap batter or lotion off my implements. I usually still have my soaping gloves on when I'm using them, so maybe that's why I don't notice the feel?
I buy bar/restaurant towels when my husband isn't looking ~ I got addicted to them when I worked at a golf course nineteenth hole (lunch & pub). I get both the textured towels and the smooth lint free towels. Haven't bought any in a while though so not sure where you can find good ones ~ I used to pick them up in Walmart in their kitchen isle or the bulk isle where they had items for restaurants. Now that I'm down to 2 textured towels, and no more smooth towels, it may be time for more 😁

@Shelley D, I thought I was the only one who had to wash everything twice! I also have very limited counter space. In fact, I have to go out and wash up right now. Years ago, I bought a dishwasher to take care of my soap dishes, but it wasn’t built-in and after a decade of use it broke and water all over the kitchen floor and into the basement. So now, everything is done by hand. I will try the microfiber cloth trick from @dmcgee5034. I’ve used paper towels, but still end up, needing to wash my dishes twice to get the oil off.

These are the microfiber cloths I bought. They don’t cause the same sensory issues for me that some of the terrycloth type do. Amazon.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back