New here and wondering why this happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastry_soaps

Reaction score
I made this the other day using Monkey Farts FO. Why do I have these spots on my soap? ImageUploadedBySoap Making1421714829.773692.jpg

Hello and welcome!

Looks like stearic spots and maybe a bit of overheating. Did you use palm? If so, you need to melt the entire container and mix it well then separate into smaller containers. Palm is really good at separating and needs to be mixed well before adding to your other oils. If you didn't use palm, please post your recipe and how you soaped it and we would be happy to trouble shoot. I like the pink color.

I don't know anywhere else but this forum where there are so many creative people willing to help out each other. I love this forum...just sayin. Pastry soaps, I think your soap is lovely. Welcome

Thank you! I did use Palm this was my recipe.
View attachment 11867

Then it was probably your palm. If you melt your palm and stir well you shouldn't have this happen again. If you ever get to purchasing a large quantity (50 lbs) Soapers Choice sells a homogenized palm that doesn't need to be stirred. That's what I use and it's great.

Your soap is still very pretty.

To get a bit more bubbly you can add some sugar to your water and dissolve it well before adding your lye. (1 TBSP PPO) Or you can get Castor Oil (most pharmacies, walmart for sure) and add that at 5%. I would leave out the canola as 5% really isn't enough to add much to your soap.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies! My batter was nice and smooth I didn't mix my palm after it was melted. I added it to my other oils not sure if that was wrong or not. I'm still very much in the learning stages.. It also seemed soft after I unmolded it too.

Thanks for your replies! My batter was nice and smooth I didn't mix my palm after it was melted. I added it to my other oils not sure if that was wrong or not. I'm still very much in the learning stages.. It also seemed soft after I unmolded it too.

The trouble with palm is that it is made up of different types of fatty acids and the melting point of them are not the same, so basically part of the palm oil melts and solidifies when the rest doesn't.

The upshot of this is, when you get a big tub of palm oil, there is a chance that it has warmed up and cooled down and left you with an unevenly mixed product - there could be areas in the tub that have more of one type of fatty acid than the other. This can then cause issues (mainly just cosmetic issues) when we make soap.

So what a lot of people do is melt the entire lot of palm oil when they get it, stir it well and then cool it quickly so it hardens while mixed. Or they make smaller batches from the melted oil and use these each time. That way the oil is well mixed.

You can also get homogenized palm, as Shunt said, as it doesn't have this issue

Hey Ladies thanks again! I guess I better learn the rules around here lol! The FO is Monkey Farts and I got it from WSP :)

Hey Ladies thanks again! I guess I better learn the rules around here lol! The FO is Monkey Farts and I got it from WSP :)

Better watch it, there are some pretty feisty dudes here too....:shock:

I can only speak from my experience with WSP's Monkey Farts. I've tried it 3 times and it's riced on me. I've tried different recipes and temps and it just hates me. I had cook it to get it to come together. Now, that just my experience. I since quite even trying to use it in soap. I do use in in Sugar scrubs and I have a Lip Balm flavor oil as well.

Back