Need some help troubleshooting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleiades

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to making soap but I've successfully made 5 batches of soap and after curing for 6 weeks they have a ph of 8.5.

I've just made a new batch and it seems to have gone wrong but I'm not sure what is wrong and how to correct. Can anyone assist?

Recipe:
800g Olive Oil, 100g Coconut Oil, 100g Palm Oil, 135g lye mixed with 330g of previously boiled flat and cold beer.

I also added some cosmetic glitter and also some grapefruit essential oil (though I believe this isn't great for CP)

Problem:
24 hours later my soap is giving a ph of 11 and it is rather like butter at room temperature. I can squash it if I poke it.

I'm surprised at how soft it is as I've made a batch of 100% olive oil and it was much harder.

What has gone wrong? Is it my fluid content? And more importantly how to I rectify it. Will it harden with age or do I need to do something?

Did your soap gel? Ungelled soap will take much longer to firm up.

Another possibility is that you mismeasured your water or used more proportionately than in your other soaps.

Good Question. Possibly not, I remember thinking how strange that I couldn't feel any heat through the wooden mould. About 2 hours after pouring into the mould there was some warmth but nothing on the scale of my previous batches.

So should I just let it sit for a week before trying to cut? Would putting in my laundry room where I have a dehumidifier help or hinder the process?

My beer soaps gel without insulation, but I'm in Florida, so I never really have to worry about soaping "cold". Your measurements look right, unless it was a simple mistake while actually weighing it out. I'm with JudyMoody and the gel factor...leave them for a while, they will harden up. A dehumidifier is a good idea. No big deal, just a few more days of (anxiously) waiting :wink:

Thanks, I'm in the UK and it's cold and humid at the moment.

I'm quite fussy about my measurements, I usually double check everything.

I read the beer was to be chilled to reduce risk of a 'volcano' but maybe under my atmospheric conditions, room temperature would have been sufficient.

The soap is too soft to cut, I'll wait it out and cut when I know it's not going to squash. I'm in no rush to use the soap.

Many thanks for the help. I now feel I can progress to trying other recipes. :D

Back