Natural Pink colourant

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink-north

Reaction score
I attempted a rose-scented batch of CP last week (see other post) and used madder root powder. I added 1/2 tsp for every pound of oils to the water, then strained it through a cheesecloth making sure to re-weigh the water and top it up if needed. Then I added the lye which caused the water to turned a dark purplish-red colour. When I added the lye mixture to the oils the colour was a nice medium rose colour.

That colour is now almost completely gone. Any suggestions :? ?

Pink French Clay, lovely rosy color. Adds a wonderful feel to the soap.

Well, I just made me a batch of soap this evening, using olive (pomace) oil that I infused with powdered yellow dock root for about 60 hours prior to soaping (I was intending to try it out after 6-8 hours, but never got around to soaping that day). It has made a lovely raspberry ice-cream kind of colour thus far (just poured it an hour ago). We'll see how it turns out.

I used some straight yellow dock into traced soap a while back, and it also came out a lovely pink colour, albeit with speckles. I must say that the colour is now (7 weeks later) more of a dusky pink than the bright-ish pink it started out as. I should take some photos under similar lighting conditions so that folks can see how it changed.

surf girl said:
Well, I just made me a batch of soap this evening, using olive (pomace) oil that I infused with powdered yellow dock root for about 60 hours prior to soaping (I was intending to try it out after 6-8 hours, but never got around to soaping that day). It has made a lovely raspberry ice-cream kind of colour thus far (just poured it an hour ago). We'll see how it turns out.

I used some straight yellow dock into traced soap a while back, and it also came out a lovely pink colour, albeit with speckles. I must say that the colour is now (7 weeks later) more of a dusky pink than the bright-ish pink it started out as. I should take some photos under similar lighting conditions so that folks can see how it changed.

I'd be interested, Surf girl!

natural Pink Colorant

I have to vote for the Pink clay from OT. It makes a lovely dusty or antique rose and the color holds perfectly.

I would love to see the pictures too , surf girl .I have some yellow dock , not sure I bought the right thing ,though.I bought the root , it was all they had.

Kitn

Here you go.

The freshly cut "Pretty in Pink" soap from 6-7 weeks ago:

DSC_1637.jpg

And my one remaining bar of it from this morning, pretty much the same lighting, and in the same location [ETA OK, I am on crack. The location is different. The angle is the same. Time of day... at least a few hours different]:

DSC_1743.jpg

and

DSC_1745.jpg

It's not a super-dramatic change, but it is different.

Those are the coolest 8) looking bars of soap!!! I love it! How did you get the layered effect?

Now let me see if I understand you correctly. The darker pink is made from infusing your oil with yellow dock and the light pink is from adding the yellow dock at trace?

What causes the dark line that runs throught the middle?

Awesome pics!

pink-north, thanks!

pink-north said:
How did you get the layered effect?

Now let me see if I understand you correctly. The darker pink is made from infusing your oil with yellow dock and the light pink is from adding the yellow dock at trace?

What causes the dark line that runs through the middle?

The 1st layer is a half-batch poured at heavy trace, and shaped with hills and valleys once it was thick enough. The white layer was a second half-batch poured on top at thin trace.

The pink in this particular soap is all achieved by adding powdered dried root at trace (around 1 tsp ppo). I haven't posted pics yet of the batch I made with infused oil - just cut it last night.

The fine dark line is a thin layer of cocoa sprinkled over the bottom layer prior to pouring the white layer.

Et voilà!

still liking the soap. do you have any pictures of the soap you made with the yellow dock steeped in oil? i'd love to see them. :)

Latest posts

Back