mr do right molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrainewoods

Reaction score
Does anyone have any of these, thinking of buying the 18 slab mold, looks easy and he has sold close to 3000 on ebay with very little negative reviews.

do a search here. there are plenty posts about his molds they seem to be mostly negative. i personally have never used his molds but there are some who have and do not recommend them at all.

I have some & I like them, I have been putting mine in the oven at low temps & they have warped slightly but they probably aren't meant to go in the oven. I would order them again my soap comes out nicely using these & bonus NO Lining needed! yay

I have four of them and they work very well for me. I do have to line them. I only made one batch without lining and it was a mistake. I have never found a mold that I didn't have to line so I don't really think that is a negative.

brnicholas said:
I have four of them and they work very well for me. I do have to line them. I only made one batch without lining and it was a mistake. I have never found a mold that I didn't have to line so I don't really think that is a negative.
Since he sells them as No liner soap molds *I* see that as a negative. I have silicone molds and others I don't line.

Hi carebear,

You are absolutely right and they should not be advertised as no-line. I think that you don't have to line them when you do M&P but that doesn't do any good for those of us who do CP. I should never have said it was not a negative.

We received a donation of a couple of hundred dollars to be specifically earmarked for updating our soap molds. I had been using wooden molds for years and none of them matched. I had ordered them custom made but each one was slightly different, which drove me crazy. But I used them and they were getting very shop worn. I decided to try the molds from Mr Do Right, or whatever his name is, because they looked very sturdy and the though of not having to line them really got my attention.

The first batch I made using them stuck so bad that I couldn't get it out no matter what I did. I ended up cutting the soap out and I was so mad I threw it all away. When I calmed down I came to the conclusion that I was just going to have to line molds. I have been lining them for so long now that it doesn't bother me anymore. I do like the shape of the molds, although the bottoms are becoming a little warped now and I have to keep turning them over. The sides bow a little if you turn the bolts too tight as well.

I haven't tried silicone because it looks flimsy to me, or am I thinking of the wrong thing? I think that next time I will just look for some wooden molds that are about the same size as these and leave it at that. I think that the wood holds the heat better anyway. Sorry for the ramble.

Silicone molds are not flimsy but you do need to be a touch carefully with them. I know high volume soapers who use them.

I wouldn't recommend the do right molds. Silicone is much better.

My reply to a question on another thread;

There are a few different reasons I didn't like them.
1) The rough plastic caused the soap to stick even when oiled.
2) The rough plastic left imprints on the sides of your bar
3) A pain to put back together
4) Hard to line up pieces to have straight sides
5) Leaks when trying to do thin trace pour
6) The miter box was worthless because the pieces were hard to keep lined up
7) For the price, I could have gotten a few silicone molds

I think that's it, there might be a couple other things that I'm not thinking of right now.

Link to other thread;

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... highlight=

I actually have two of these molds and had issues with the fact that I had to line them. I contacted the guy via EBAY and he informed me that I can put the mold in the oven at 180 degrees and then cut the oven off and leave it for about 4 hours. This has worked so well for me. If the mold warps, put the bottom in the microwave for about 1 minute and it lays flat again. I have seen alot of negative feedback but to be honest, I have had no problem and my soaps just come right out of the mold after I started using the oven method he suggested.

I just received my two 18-inch log mold from this manufacturer. As the owner of a custom Soaphutch mold, I can see and feel the difference immediately, however I did not order these to use them linerless. I ordered 18 inch long molds because that is the width of a roll of freezer paper :D I'm going to test drive them this weekend to see how it goes. I agree that they should NOT be marketed as linerless. If you want a linerless mold, the best money you will ever spend is on a Soaphutch mold. Release is effortless.

Latest posts

Back