Mold lining

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misslavey

Reaction score
So i finally got myself a REAL wooden soap mold, from the wonderful man at soap-making-resource.com

loaf-soap-mold-3-pound.jpg

However, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck or was unlucky with using plastic shopping bags as mold liners? I really hate cutting and measuring freezer paper, so I'm wondering if this is a viable option.

I've been sitting on my front porch pondering this issue for another reason. I built my own log molds and line them with freezer paper. However, I want a slab mold, but I'm thinking about trying the baking sheets l've heard people talk about to keep from having to line it.

Plastic shopping bags will leave wrinkles on the bottom and sides; don't recommend it.

There was also a thread by someone who made a liner out of the plastic used to make those tacky signs people stick up on the side of the road. There will be millions of them available soon with the election year almost here!

The election poster idea is a pretty good one. Maybe I'll just use the plastic bags for batches where looks aren't as important. I was just wondering if they'd hold up

If you have a JoAnne's Frabric store nearby, get thee hence and go to their quilting aisle and buy yourself some sheets of heat resistant mylar. I have absolutely no idea what they are used for in quilting since I don't quilt, but they make excellent mold lining material. That's what I use in my wooden molds. You will have to cut them to size, but you only need to do that once since they are reusable and last forever and a day. Mine are at least 2 years old now and still going great.

IrishLass :)

I recall someone saying they used a grocery bag for a liner - unfortunately I don't recall how it worked, except the advice was to make sure the print was not against the soap as it transferred!

IrishLass said:
If you have a JoAnne's Frabric store nearby, get thee hence and go to their quilting aisle and buy yourself some sheets of heat resistant mylar. I have absolutely no idea what they are used for in quilting since I don't quilt, but they make excellent mold lining material. That's what I use in my wooden molds. You will have to cut them to size, but you only need to do that once since they are reusable and last forever and a day. Mine are at least 2 years old now and still going great.

Well, guess I'm going shopping tomorrow!! Since I have made two quilts, I will tell you that I used the the mylar stuff for my pattern pieces. That way, you just roll a cutting blade down the side of the stuff to cut your fabric. But then, like I said, I've only made two. A REAL quilter might laugh at me!!

Is it possible for me to permanently adhere the stuff to the sides/bottom of my wooden mold? Or, do I need to just cut it to size and then peel it off the soap?

I think the latter would work better. It sticks pretty well and I don't think you'd get the soap to drop out of the mold if you adhered it. unless you have a mold that comes apart - but then the seams might leak.

try this,

Go to the office/craft store, get some HEAVY weight board stock. 1/8" or so. Cut it slightly smaller than the bottom of your mold, cut a "flap" in this template. Put your "template" on your paper then cut 4 to 5 inches larger than your template. Next fold the paper over the template, long sides first, then short sides. place in bottom of mold. Next unfold the sides and tape them over the edges. Use the flap to pull the template out of the mold.

The mylar idea is super intriguing to me. I use the wooden BB molds, which I love, but cutting wax paper and taping every time... BLUGH.

Question about cutting the mylar: do you cut it a bit bigger than the width of the mold, so you can crease it into the edges like you do with wax paper? Or is that not needed?

How about teflon oven liner sheets? I have seen these used to line tube molds so it would stand to reason the could be cut to fit slab molds - I found some on amazon.com as well in my local cake decorating supply store

Soapsugoii said:
Question about cutting the mylar: do you cut it a bit bigger than the width of the mold, so you can crease it into the edges like you do with wax paper? Or is that not needed?

I've heard of other soapers creasing it successfully (it does bend and crease), but I must suck at it because I totally screwed up my first couple of sheets of mylar trying to fold it. Cutting to size worked a lot better for me.

To cut it, I just used one of those Fiskar papercraft cutters that you can buy in any craft store down the scrapbooking aisle. I measured and cut it to be a near perfect fit- there might be just a bare hairbreadth of wiggle room between the pieces of mylar in my mold, but since I pour at medium to medium-thick trace I never have a problem with leakage.

My mylar pieces are free-form, i.e. they are not permanently glued to my mold. I just dab the backsides with a little vaseline or mineral oil to make sure they stick to the insides of my mold when I go to soap, and I very lightly 'grease' the side facing my soap with the tiniest bit of mineral oil. The pieces just peel right off my finished soap and leave such a smooth, shiny finish.

This YouTube vid is excellent. I use it when lining with freezer paper. I don't mind using the paper, and have given up my search for silicone inserts.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm6tXKuZsI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm6tXKuZsI[/ame]

HTH :)

P.S... She does make it look tedious, but it really isn't :)

Latest posts

Back