Milk vs. Eggyolk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fragola

Reaction score
Does anybody have an opinion on what different qualities these two ingredients bring to soap ?

I pondering whether or not it's worth the effort to give milk another try ...

Another question, how many eggyolks should I dare to add PPO ? I usually go with 2, but is 10 too much ?

Egg yolk seem to add a creamy quality like silk does. You will need to temper the egg, so it doesn't cook and you end up with bits in your soap. I would say 10 eggs is too much. Milk will give you more bubbles due to the natural sugars.

Ok, I am writing down ingredients:
- nutmeg
- caramelized sugar

Anybody can help with a milk-eggyolk comparison ?

You will need to temper the egg
I am making mayo first, it's all the tempering it needs.

Making mayo before hand and incorporating it into the soap is actually a really great idea!

tempering the egg is pretty simple. I do, kinda, make mayo. I reserve some of my oils to mix into the egg, then add soap batter a little at a time while whisking carefully (you want to mix, but not add air). then add that into the bulk of the batter.

But what does an egg yolk actually do for the soap??

Makes it creamy you said .... more than just adding regular milk, or cream??

I've made homemade mayo before so am famililar with the process!!

The only egg yolk soaps I've made have had a milk base. Buttermilk egg yolk, and coconut milk egg yolk. I used 1 egg yolk, strained through a wire strainer to remove the membrane around the yolk (this membrane will harden in your soap). I temper it into the heated oils.

I've found that it provides a silkier lather, and texture to the soap. It makes my skin feel more moisturized and smooth.

Can't wait for my 5 eggyolk test batch to cure :D

Wanted to put 10, but I chickened out. I am getting addicted, now I never want a soap without eggyolk. :oops:

Fyrja said:
The only egg yolk soaps I've made have had a milk base.
Any chance you could compare milk-yolk soaps with pure milk soaps ?

But what does an egg yolk actually do for the soap??

Makes it creamy you said .... more than just adding regular milk, or cream??
Yes, more than cream ... My cream experiments didn't make a very creamy soap.
I don't know about milk, this is why I asked the question.

Eggyolk soap lather looks and feels like a rich, nourishing lotion on the skin.

Fyrja said:
The only egg yolk soaps I've made have had a milk base. Buttermilk egg yolk, and coconut milk egg yolk. I used 1 egg yolk, strained through a wire strainer to remove the membrane around the yolk (this membrane will harden in your soap). I temper it into the heated oils.

I've found that it provides a silkier lather, and texture to the soap. It makes my skin feel more moisturized and smooth.

I second this - Fyrja's egg yolk soap is awesome! It makes a great facial soap, too. :D

Forgot to mention something: certain people mention that eggsoap sometimes gets a greenish hue which disappears after cure.

I only got that green during my recent try - where I heated the soap (it was sort of HP). It seems that heating is what causes that color. Meaning that not gelling may be preferable. But I am not certain about any of this.

Latest posts

Back