Mayonnaise Lotion?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissE

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This time of the year I always struggle with keeping my skin non-scaly, except, this year I've become more crafty and my sense of adventure is somewhat heightened. So, today I was looking at a bottle of homemade mayonnaise and the thought came to me, other than the smell of raw egg coming through, is there any reason why I can't leave mayonnaise on my skin, that is why can't I use it like a lotion? :smile:

Some people use it on their hair as a deep conditioner. I can't think of any horrible reason to avoid using it on your skin, although I personally don't think I care to smell like mayo. If your skin is broken even a tiny bit, the acid (vinegar or lemon) in the mayo might be irritating.

I don't know, but I think you'd be hosting a bacteria party :happynewyear:
I like the occassional mayo mask on my hair followed by a vinegar rinse, but the smells get to me. Leaves hair amazingly soft and shiny.

I see a lot of uses for it online, including the deep conditioning for hair that you talk about, but they are all wash-off. I would like to leave it on, and maybe mask the smell with something else, like lemon eo. But I wonder why no one else is doing this?

I don't know, but I think you'd be hosting a bacteria party :happynewyear:

Lol...New Year party, no less!

But I've been around all you smart people long enough to know I would need a good preservative for this. ;)

"...I would like to leave it on..."

Mayo is basically canola oil or other cheap veg oil and vinegar with egg as the emulsifier. The ingredients are not all that appealing to me to use on my skin. Sandwich -- sure. Skin -- not really. I can think of many nice and effective lotions, both hand crafted and commercial, that would be much more pleasant.

But, hey, it's not going to kill a person to experiment. Try it and see what you think.

It might be an interesting experiment to whip some may with some pleasant smelling EO or FO and use as a refridgerated lotion. But I wouldn't keep a jar on my nightstand!

Mayonnaise is formulated and manufactured as a food - and is meant to be refrigerated after opening. It was never meant to applied externally to the body and left on - for the reasons already mentioned.

Have you never found a nice rich lotion that helps?

When my middle aged skin is desperate (humidity level 5% for a week!), I use a glycerin and water spray, followed by a nice rich lotion like Nubian Heritage.
I do mix my own glycerin and water which isn't preserved, but I make it in a sterilized bottle and sprayers (bleach solution) make it in small amounts and keep it refrigerated.

This process makes my skin say "...ahhhhh!"

Latest posts

Back