Masking discoloring FO's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyaynn

Reaction score
A recent thread had me asking this question: What do you all do with fragrance oils that discolor CP soap to a tan or brown? I would think most colors would just make it muddy looking. Is there anything that can be done to make the discolored soap look better? Maybe red or yellow?

I remember being so disappointed with my first discoloration and decided I would not make anymore soaps with FO's that would cause it; then I decided I could not live without certain FO's and decided to tolerate the tans and browns. I think it is a matter of conditioning yourself and learning to embrace brown soap :wink:

If it's gonna turn brown, I don't think any colorant will change that. Titanium dioxide can help a little in lightening it but it won't "cure" that problem. There are vanilla stabilizers but I've never used them and from what I've run across, they are designed for M&P soaps and not CP. (Maybe someone can correct me on this.)

The selected oils, additives and temperature can have a huge effect also.

There are CP vanilla stabilizers available. I haven't used them (or titanium dioxide) but I've heard they work reasonable well, at least enough that you can color without getting grey/brown.

I say embrace the brown. Maybe even add your own brown colorant to it so you can at least control the shade. Then name it something that sounds like it ought to be brown. I personaly love brown soaps & prefer to use fos that turn. I may be odd man out though.

I am with the rest of the posters, go with it. If you are naming your soap, why not come up with something that reflects the color of the soap?

Well if you go and look at the Soap Gallery and see my "more precious than gold" it was a soap that turns brown. You just work with it. I took some soap out and colored it black (of course that part had no scent) and i added gold mica to it.

I also have a sandalwood and yland that turns brown and I take a small amount and color it titanium dioxide and i do a white swirl.

You will figure it out. You can always do embeds as well

kelleyaynn said:
A recent thread had me asking this question: What do you all do with fragrance oils that discolor CP soap to a tan or brown? I would think most colors would just make it muddy looking. Is there anything that can be done to make the discolored soap look better? Maybe red or yellow?

I don't mind tan or brown soaps either, so for most of the fo's that discolor I just let them turn brown and I wouldn't try to cover that up with another color, or it could get ugly. But there are a couple fo's, like pink sugar where I don't want a brown pinks sugar so in those instances I do use TD and it does wonders...really. But I saw a pic posted in the photo gallery by pgnlady of a pink sugar she made where she let it go brown then added a white top layer and a swirl of pink on that and it was VERY pretty. So there are ways of fixing discoloration, but you just have to choose what's right for you.

Back