NG Christmas Cabin FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The NG site said no discoloration for this fo. The reviews had mixed results. When I used the fo I assumed it would discolor, but I had a small bit of hope. I used green mica in half the batter and TD in the other half for a swirl in hopes that it would either hold the colors or become brown and beige. Well, the green mica turned brown, but the TD turned orange. Would be great for a fall/Halloween soap not a Christmas soap. Lesson learned. The scent is lovely so I will figure out a better way to use this fo.

Oh no! Maybe wait a little bit and see what happens to those colors. I've had both greens and whites look horrible in the batter and when first poured into the mold. Then they mellowed out and morphed back to something closer to what I had intended.

As I'm sure you know, usually the entire soap turns the color of the outside edges. Let's hope that yours does that! Even if it doesn't, however, I don't think they look horrible at all - I like them, actually. But I know it's not what you wanted, and it can be hard to let go of the vision in our brain.

@AliOop I haven't posted pics of this soap yet. I ended up making a different soap for the contest.

@AliOop this is my awful 😞 soap.
IMG_20230825_125638838~2.jpg

The darker tan was dark green like the trees when I poured the batter in the loaf and the orange was a light cream color.

I still don't think it is awful, although I see why you prefer it to be green. The fact that the outside edges are still green is somewhat hopeful, but morphing back to light green and white does seem to be a long shot...🤞

That soap is beautiful @2lilboots! I think the rind of light green looks really cool. You need to find a way to be able to replicate that! You may find other parts of the soap turned that same color green as the soap dries. It’s very hard to accept unplanned results even when they come out just fine because they don’t match up with what was in our head to begin with. Sometimes it’s better to ask someone else before you decide to condemn project outcomes. Sometimes just changing the name of your soap design fixes the whole thing. 🙂

@AliOop I haven't posted pics of this soap yet. I ended up making a different soap for the contest.

@AliOop this is my awful 😞 soap.
View attachment 74229

The darker tan was dark green like the trees when I poured the batter in the loaf and the orange was a light cream color.
I know it wasn't what you had intended but it kinda has a Dr Seuss Christmas vibe ~ like as in unexpected colors and shapes 🥰 and I love Dr Seuss. My mom read his books to me at bedtime and I read them to my kids, and they read them to their kids 😄

@Tammyfarms I scrapped it. The fragrance disappeared and it had a bizarre orange color to it. I don't like what I don't like. If I look at something that I make and it looks disgusting to me, I cannot see it another way.
I missed the soap the first time around, but do think it was cute and Dr. Suess-ish. I totally get the part about not being able to reframe when things don’t go as planned, but I give my botched soap to my BIL because he only cares about the scent and how it feels.

@Tammyfarms I scrapped it. The fragrance disappeared and it had a bizarre orange color to it. I don't like what I don't like. If I look at something that I make and it looks disgusting to me, I cannot see it another way.
That’s too bad but I understand. I have a small batch of cherry almond scented bars that are a pink color. They partially gelled and didn’t look great when I put them in silicone molds so I rebatched them. They were fresh so I didn’t add liquid. It was my first rebatch ever and I didn’t realize the batter needed to be more liquid. They didn’t turn out well so I rebatched again. Now all I can think of when I see them is pink slime like what is used in cheap ground burger. 🤢. They smell great so they will probably be gifts. I usually bring a selection and let people pick what they want. Hoping people like the smell and don’t see what I see. 😉

Latest posts

Back