Managing my time...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kafm73

Reaction score
Does anyone have any special tips or hacks (technique?) to ensure that you get every bit of the oils or butters (or lard, etc) out of your measuring container? Or how about the soap mixture right before it goes into the mold? It seems that once I’m done, I could scrape forever, but then I’d have lumpy areas, lol!! I’ve made 2 CP soap batches thus far and each time, I found myself worrying about how much “waste” I was leaving. I know that with experience comes better technique, etc. and that I will get better and better at managing my time in doing each portion, but thought to ask you guys if there’s anything you do that would help?

I weigh my hard fats right into my mixing container, melt them and then weigh the liquid oils into that. I scrape the batter as best I can into the mold, but there are always traces left which I wipe off with a cloth or paper towel.

I HP and my pot is too heavy for my scale so I have to mix in a separate container. After I transfer the oils, I tip the container on its side for whatever is left to pool there, and I scrape it into the soap batter at one of the times I'm stirring.

There's always a lil bit leftover lol which I wipe off with my fingers and apply to the ends of my hair or my feet haha. I wash my hands throughly after, of course lol

I HP and my pot is too heavy for my scale so I have to mix in a separate container. After I transfer the oils, I tip the container on its side for whatever is left to pool there, and I scrape it into the soap batter at one of the times I'm stirring.

There's always a lil bit leftover lol which I wipe off with my fingers and apply to the ends of my hair or my feet haha. I wash my hands throughly after, of course lol
Lol! I rub it into my arms or hands! Can’t hurt!

I have started doing it the same way as dibbles. But getting it right on the last little bit of soft oils can be tricky, so I get to my exact weight by tipping the last of the oil in from a small measuring cup or spoon instead of the bulk container. The soap maker Tree Marie uses small squeeze bottles of her soft oils to get her weights exact.

After I fill my mold and get that settled, I collect up any remaining soap and put it in a cavity or two of a silicone ice cube tray. I adjusted my recipes to make an extra ounce of batter. That way I don’t have to worry about scraping the soap dregs into my mold. I end up with cute little soaps that I can test early.

I have started doing it the same way as dibbles. But getting it right on the last little bit of soft oils can be tricky, so I get to my exact weight by tipping the last of the oil in from a small measuring cup or spoon instead of the bulk container. The soap maker Tree Marie uses small squeeze bottles of her soft oils to get her weights exact.

After I fill my mold and get that settled, I collect up any remaining soap and put it in a cavity or two of a silicone ice cube tray. I adjusted my recipes to make an extra ounce of batter. That way I don’t have to worry about scraping the soap dregs into my mold. I end up with cute little soaps that I can test early.
Good idea! I’m going to start doing that...

The trick is using the right kind of spatula. I have this excellent silicone one made by Wilton with flexible, thin edges that I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond some years ago. I'm glad I bought a few extra when I did, because it looks like this particular model is no longer available, which is too bad because it's the best and most awesome spatula that I've ever owned in my life for being able to easily scrape every single last drop of oils out of my soaping bowls. It works like magic!

Upon looking around, this one gets good reviews on Amazon for being able to scrape bowls clean:

IrishLass :)

The spoonulas from Micas and More are super flexible. I bought one thinking I would use it when I need to gently add batter over already poured batter in the mold. I’ve never liked spoonulas because every one I ever tried was too stiff. Until these. I’m going to get one for my kitchen and one for each of my kids. They are that good.

The trick is using the right kind of spatula. I have this excellent silicone one made by Wilton with flexible, thin edges that I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond some years ago. I'm glad I bought a few extra when I did, because it looks like this particular model is no longer available, which is too bad because it's the best and most awesome spatula that I've ever owned in my life for being able to easily scrape every single last drop of oils out of my soaping bowls. It works like magic!

Upon looking around, this one gets good reviews on Amazon for being able to scrape bowls clean:

IrishLass :)
I need to find one with thin edges, like you mentioned. That would be more helpful, for sure!

I like Norpro silicone jar/icing spatulas that I buy on Amazon for getting out the last of the oils and batter. They’re narrow enough to fit into small cups and also into the bottom of my SB (after I disconnect it from the motor, of course :)). They also work well for the smallish containers I use for mixing colorants.

Back