Making a soap with high percent of olive oil that doesn't get slimy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well these soapmakers use the boiled method in which they salt out their soap multiple times, thus getting rid of all the impurities. Castile soap was made with bad olive oil which was impure and cheap so that is somewhat similar to crude pomace. As for why the I think crude pomace olive oil creates more lather is because it seems like almost every big manufacturer of 100% olive oil soap uses crude pomace olive oil and their lather seems to be better, also crude pomace olive oil has a lot of unsaponifiables, which makes the soap better.

Not sure where you get your figures but that is not the case in Australia or from the sites I have seen overseas. In Australia you are not even allowed to call pomace "olive oil" because it is not olive oil.
It is not organic so none of the sites using organic OO are using pomace.

It doesn't matter though. You can use anything to make soap. It's all just personal preference and the preference of your customers if you sell.

Last edited:
Not sure where you get your figures but that is not the case in Australia or from the sites I have seen overseas. In Australia you are not even allowed to call pomace "olive oil" because it is not olive oil.
It is not organic so none of the sites using organic OO are using pomace.

It doesn't matter though. You can use anything to make soap. It's all just personal preference and the preference of your customers if you sell.

Crude pomace olive oil is used because it is cheaper than using any other olive oil, and it doesn't matter what olive oil oil you use whether it is pure or crude. Crude pomace also gives the soap a green color which some manufacturers want.

In Australia you are not even allowed to call pomace "olive oil" because it is not olive oil.

Let's not go overboard conflating what a product is with what it is called. It's not that olive pomace oil isn't olive oil, it's that it can't be called olive oil in commerce. It's a regulatory matter that has been adopted in Europe, the USA and elsewhere, not a vehicle for expressing disdain.

Things you put on your skin can be absorbed easily, or can't be absorbed at all, or somewhere in between. We know this as a matter of fact about many substances, not as a matter of opinion or philosophy.

Maybe hexane could be absorbed, but as far as I know there isn't any in vegetable oil. It's used in the extraction of soybean, corn and other seed oils that are consumed in large quantities all over the world with no credible concern about solvent exposure.

What puts it to rest is that everyone DOES get a significant exposure to hexane, in comparison to which vegetable oil could not rank higher than a zero as a contributor. All you have to do is hang around cars or pass petrol stations, or live in areas where they exist, or stand downwind of petrol stations or (heaven forbid) fill the tank of your car.

However, I think it's true that olive pomace oil wasn't used traditionally because there are no alternatives to solvent extraction. At one point I suspected it was responsible for the color of some traditional HP olive oil soaps, but either it's not that or they didn't always have that color.

Back